Noopsyche K7 Pro II Review --- NEW GROWTH IMAGES

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am one of the original contest winners who were given a chance to test out Noopsyche's K7 Pro II. My tank is currently an Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 gal filled with an abundance of SPS frags, 2 clams, and various LPS corals to include Euphyllia. I was sent one fixture that arrived on 17 December and was installed on 19 December.

I will break this review down into several steps:
- Introduction of my setup
- Unboxing of the light set
- Initial impressions
- Selection of corals for one-month growth and color test
- Conclusion

Introduction of setup
Equipment
- Red Sea Reefer Nano
- Noopsyche K7 Pro II
- Coral Box RN-1 Wavemaker
- Jebao SW-1 Wavemaker
- GHL Doser 2.1 4 pump
- GHL Kh Director
- XP Aqua Duetto ATO

Livestock
- Acropora
- Millipora
- Montipora
- Euphyllia
- Acan Echanata
- Favia
- Firefish
- Mystery Wrasse
- Emerald Crabs
- Nassarius Snails

Husbandry
- Once a week, 35% water change until I get my hands on ATI Essentials Pro then it will be reduced to 10% once a month
- Filter socks change out once a week or earlier as needed
- There is currently no skimmer so food is fed as a minimal
- Dry food is fed sparingly; fish are feed capelin roe which is devoured immediately and produces virtually no waste
- Aquavitro Fuel is dosed once a week

Unboxing of Noopsyche K7 Pro II

The light arrived well packed. The box was minimalistic which is a great thing. The contents included: a fixture, power cable, power adapter, wireless controller, wireless controller charger, mount, and mounting hardware.
20181219_172632.jpg
20181218_203820.jpg
20181218_203852.jpg
20181218_203906.jpg
20181218_203917.jpg
20181219_170426.jpg

Initial impressions of the fixture
- Weight - The fixture is nice and light. Almost equivalent to the weight of an AI Hydra 26.
- Construction - The fixture is constructed out an aluminum heatsink and a 3D printed faceplate. You can see the imperfections from the 3D printing on the faceplate but for the pricing point of the fixture currently, it is something any user will easily overlook. However, I do wish the faceplate and fan vent were constructed in black to match the rest of the fixture. The wireless controller is really lightweight and sorta feels very fragile. I think if I were to drop it, it would probably fracture on my hardwood floors. The wheel on the controller turns well but maybe an issue later in the future if somehow salt creep were to build up behind it from touching the tank water then the controller.
- Functionality/Installation - The controller and light fixture are very easy to use. The included instructions make the process a lot easier. Putting the mount together was a pain; installing the screws into the base attachment was very tedious and require a little elbow grease. What sucks more is that I installed the light fixture to the wrong end of the mount and had to unscrew the base attachment and rescrew it on the correct in. You can see my mistake in the picture above. However, if you want the light closer to the tank, that mistake may be benefitial. The preset light programs make the process speedy and efficient.
- Light - The spectrum given off by this fixture is amazing. My favorite initially happens to be with Channel A on 0% while the others are on 100%. This gives an ultra blue look which made my corals pop even more than under the AI primes I originally had installed.
-Overall - The pricing point makes this fixture very attractive. It seems to be very promising.

Selection of corals for one-month growth and color test

My choice of coral for the growth test will be SPS: one montipora, one acropora, and one millepora.
Please note that the overall goal is to determine if this light fixture will grow and color the selected corals. The goal is to ensure my parameters remain stable throughout the process with very little changes to the husbandry while utilizing the AI primes. All photos will be taken during the 35% water change once a week. The equipment of choice will be my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus instead of my DSLR in order to avoid any uncertainty in the authenticity of the photos taken.

Millepora
20181222_221757.jpg

Acropora
20181222_221726.jpg

Montipora
20181222_221720.jpg

Conclusion
- TBD

Last edited:

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
;Smuggrin

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update from since the last post:

*New discovery: The mount base is larger than the precut out for a red sea reefer nano; it doesn't allow you to use the lid with the mount.

Montipora
Changes: Growth + coloration
20181222_221720.jpg DSC04110.jpg

Acropora
Change: Coloration
20181222_221726.jpg DSC04108.jpg

Millipora
Changes: Growth + slight coloration
20181222_221757.jpg DSC04132.jpg

Last edited:

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update from since the last post:

*New discovery: The mount base is larger than the precut out for a red sea reefer nano; it doesn't allow you to use the lid with the mount.

Montipora
Changes: Growth + coloration
20181222_221720.jpg DSC04110.jpg

Acropora
Change: Coloration
20181222_221726.jpg DSC04108.jpg

Millipora
Changes: Growth + slight coloration
20181222_221757.jpg DSC04132.jpg
Very well done! The coral seem to be responding nicely to the lights. What settings are you running as that is a data point I am tracking.
My Pro Essentials will be here this week so I hope you have had a chance to use it by now as that will be the game changer for many not running Triton.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done! The coral seem to be responding nicely to the lights. What settings are you running as that is a data point I am tracking.
My Pro Essentials will be here this week so I hope you have had a chance to use it by now as that will be the game changer for many not running Triton.

Thanks! I use a custom schedule.

11AM - 4PM - All channels on 50%
4:01PM - 11PM - Only Channels 2,3,4 on 50%; others are off (0%)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think these will be my first upgrade.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what your lighting was before the noopsyche? Those corals did not look right at all.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what your lighting was before the noopsyche? Those corals did not look right at all.
AI Prime but it wasn't the cause of the coral issues. The tank I was previously using was an AIO which I struggled with so I moved everything over to my Red Reefer Nano which has been working out great since the switch in early January.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back