Noopsyche K7 Pro III vs Kessil AP9X

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in the midst of planning my tank upgrade to a Cade 1500 (5ft) or 1800 (6ft) peninsula in the next few months, and I’m in the mood for a change in lighting.

I currently run a pair of Atlantik V4s (one full and one compact unit) over my 80G shallow (4’x2’x16”) and while me and my corals enjoy the lights, the form factor of adding 1-2 additional full units and installing them as pendants (15lbs per unit) sort of terrifies me. I’d like to hang a lighter weight for my next build. I run a mixed reef.

So, enter the Kessil and Noopsyche.

I know that these two lights are in somewhat different classes of their own, and I love the idea of Kessil Shimmer, but the price being so exorbitant for one unit, the Noopsyche units are becoming very intriguing.

The options I’m imagining. To start…
  • 3x Kessil AP9X
  • 3x Noopsyche K7 Pro III
Each unit would be mounted perpendicularly to the tank. If I go with the 1800, I may add one more unit.

Additional criteria I’m considering:
  • I’d prefer to ramp up/down morning and evenings to achieve the blue look and replicate a whiter/daylight spectrum during peak hours
  • I definitely want shimmer, but maybe not as much as the Kessils offer (but also want avoid disco lights)
  • App ease-of-use is very important (from the scale that the Aqua Illumination app is great and Orphek’s Atlantik app is frustrating)
  • Supplemental lighting to eliminate shadows is also a possibility
  • Adequate customer and product support
For those of you who have had either of these lights in consideration for your tanks, what made you go with your choice?

Thank you!

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the wireless K7 Pro v3. Was a huge upgrade over my previous light. It has six controllable channels (three in various blues and one in cool white, red/warm, and green).

I like the old AB+ T5 bulbs and after messing with it a bit have it dialed in with 25% cool white and green, 50% red, and then 100% in royal/blue/UVs. Over my 20g the max midday hits 33% of full power on blues.

As for app and connectivity it’s okay. Took awhile to get it to work the first time. Still a pain to log into. I am hoping there will be some update to the app which could really make this light a cheap and stellar option.

It can adjust slowly to values throughout the day at 1hr intervals. On the app you have to input each value throughout the cycle. Takes about an hour after you find the color temp and brightness you like. Also, when adjusting settings the light will do it in real-time. Not a way around this that I’ve found.

There is some separation in colors at about 12” above the water. I have plans to buy a diffuser to help better blend this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It can adjust slowly to values throughout the day at 1hr intervals. On the app you have to input each value throughout the cycle. Takes about an hour after you find the color temp and brightness you like. Also, when adjusting settings the light will do it in real-time. Not a way around this that I’ve found.

Thanks for the insight!

Does the light ramp progressively between the hourly settings? Or does it simply adjust the light output each hour setting?

bigQQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
可以关注一下我的灯X240,8路调光加2路月光,效果很棒
You can pay attention to my lamp X240, 8-way dimming and 2-way moonlight, the effect is great

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back