Noopsyche K7 Pro v3 - early review: I'm impressed with the output, but the setup instructions are weak

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed the Noopsyche K7 Pro V3 light on my 250g aquarium: 72x28x30H. It blows away the Reefbreeders Economy lights and the one other no-name LED black box that I had been running for many years now. I'm not complaining about the ReefBreeders lights, as I grew sps, lps, and softies under them just fine, but the visible lumens and the wider spread of the Noopsyche is impressive. I haven't taken measurements with a par meter, but to the naked eye the difference is noticeable. I mean, it's really noticable. So much so that I'm thinking about replacing the remaining black-box budget LED's that I have with more Noopsyche K7 Pro V3's. I was running with 4 budget LED boxes, but think that 3 of the K7 Pro's might be enough because of the apparent increased spread. I read here in another thread that the output is comparable to a Radion Gen 4. Also, because the K7's concentrate their LED's into two bubbles (lens), you get moderate shimmer lines in the tank. I like shimmer lines, but YMMV.

Physically, the unit is about half the size of my budget LED's, and so far, is much quieter than one of my budget LEDS (not the Reefbreeders).

I also like that it has a single power cord, and the lighting cycle is built into the app. My budget LED boxes had 2 power cords each, and also required plugging each power cord into a timer (or using a splitter/merger) to set my light cycle. All that goes away with the K7's.

I'll admit that the installation guide and instructions that come with the light are not so good. No doubt they were all written by Chinese native speakers with limited English abilities. In fact, the written instructions didn't match the choices available on the app so I had to make some guesses. I had to hunt around online for other threads here and elsewhere, videos on Youtube, etc. to fill in some blanks. I also ended up blindly trying various things that seemed to be what the instructions were hinting at in order to get my light up and working, and talking with the app.

From what I've gathered so far, in order to have the app talk with the light I need to switch the wifi network on my phone from my home network to a "network" hosted by the light. Then I can see and edit the program/channels for the light. When done, I have to then switch my phone back to my home network. It's a little cumbersome, but it is apparently necessary unless/until Noopsyche hosts their own servers or something (I'm not an IT person), but that has the downside that if the Noopsyche server goes down (or is taken down), then the light would be "bricked". I was also informed that there is a plus side to this, in that the K7 doesn't have access to my home wifi network, so any issue/worries about privacy/security/spying are not possible.

Even though the light is not without its flaws, for the price (usually under $200 if you wait for a sale), I'm pretty pleased with what I got. I plan to buy more as soon as my budget allows.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (3) of them. 2 Boxed, 1 over the tank, beside (2) Gen2 Radions (upgraded to pro or whatever).

The radions look better. I can't figure out why, but the blue is better, not bluer and the white is not as harsh.

You can put them on your LAN as well if you have 2.4GHz and access them without connecting to their hotspot.

The app is def not easy to work with. I built a QR generator so that you can build your profiles/schedules offline and upload them to the lights.

The fan never comes on. I am at maybe 50% power. It is not hot and I have not ramped it up long enough to see of the fan comes on.

For the price they are great.

I am thinking about getting (2) GHL Mitras instead though.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed the Noopsyche K7 Pro V3 light on my 250g aquarium: 72x28x30H. It blows away the Reefbreeders Economy lights and the one other no-name LED black box that I had been running for many years now. I'm not complaining about the ReefBreeders lights, as I grew sps, lps, and softies under them just fine, but the visible lumens and the wider spread of the Noopsyche is impressive. I haven't taken measurements with a par meter, but to the naked eye the difference is noticeable. I mean, it's really noticable. So much so that I'm thinking about replacing the remaining black-box budget LED's that I have with more Noopsyche K7 Pro V3's. I was running with 4 budget LED boxes, but think that 3 of the K7 Pro's might be enough because of the apparent increased spread. I read here in another thread that the output is comparable to a Radion Gen 4. Also, because the K7's concentrate their LED's into two bubbles (lens), you get moderate shimmer lines in the tank. I like shimmer lines, but YMMV.

Physically, the unit is about half the size of my budget LED's, and so far, is much quieter than one of my budget LEDS (not the Reefbreeders).

I also like that it has a single power cord, and the lighting cycle is built into the app. My budget LED boxes had 2 power cords each, and also required plugging each power cord into a timer (or using a splitter/merger) to set my light cycle. All that goes away with the K7's.

I'll admit that the installation guide and instructions that come with the light are not so good. No doubt they were all written by Chinese native speakers with limited English abilities. In fact, the written instructions didn't match the choices available on the app so I had to make some guesses. I had to hunt around online for other threads here and elsewhere, videos on Youtube, etc. to fill in some blanks. I also ended up blindly trying various things that seemed to be what the instructions were hinting at in order to get my light up and working, and talking with the app.

From what I've gathered so far, in order to have the app talk with the light I need to switch the wifi network on my phone from my home network to a "network" hosted by the light. Then I can see and edit the program/channels for the light. When done, I have to then switch my phone back to my home network. It's a little cumbersome, but it is apparently necessary unless/until Noopsyche hosts their own servers or something (I'm not an IT person), but that has the downside that if the Noopsyche server goes down (or is taken down), then the light would be "bricked". I was also informed that there is a plus side to this, in that the K7 doesn't have access to my home wifi network, so any issue/worries about privacy/security/spying are not possible.

Even though the light is not without its flaws, for the price (usually under $200 if you wait for a sale), I'm pretty pleased with what I got. I plan to buy more as soon as my budget allows.

Is the reefbreeders economy lights an old model? I have a reefbreeder photon over my 75gal tank and love it. I personally would prefer it over the Noopsyche K7 Pro V3 but not at the extra cost. I believe my reefbreeder light is now $750 where as the Noopsyche would be a little over $400.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (3) of them. 2 Boxed, 1 over the tank, beside (2) Gen2 Radions (upgraded to pro or whatever).

The radions look better. I can't figure out why, but the blue is better, not bluer and the white is not as harsh.

You can put them on your LAN as well if you have 2.4GHz and access them without connecting to their hotspot.

The app is def not easy to work with. I built a QR generator so that you can build your profiles/schedules offline and upload them to the lights.

The fan never comes on. I am at maybe 50% power. It is not hot and I have not ramped it up long enough to see of the fan comes on.

For the price they are great.

I am thinking about getting (2) GHL Mitras instead though.

I agree, there is something different about the blue from the Noopsyche. I've bought a couple of torches at frag swaps and I can't get the same color from them as they did at the vendor booth. The venders were using either radions or hydras.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with my purchase.

I Just printed a bracket to hold it in a pole which looks even better now.
20230220_000346.jpg

Coral Love

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
10   2   0
I run 6 V3 pros over a 6 foot LPS tank, before getting them I lost all yellow in my grail torches due to the poor spectrum of old black box LED fixtures. It only took 1 month to get that elite holy grail yellow back in my torch collection!

Thanks @noopsyche!

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run 6 V3 pros over a 6 foot LPS tank, before getting them I lost all yellow in my grail torches due to the poor spectrum of old black box LED fixtures. It only took 1 month to get that elite holy grail yellow back in my torch collection!

Thanks @noopsyche!
Hi! so glad to hear this hope Noopsyche will bring you more happy results! :)

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks @noopsyche!
Do you have a profile of your lighting schedule?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back