Noopsyche or AI Prime?

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I should switch lighting? Everything in my tank is fine right now just wondering if I'm missing out on better color. Should I make the switch to the Noopsyche K7 Pro II or stick with the AI Prime 16HD?? I gotta say I do love having the app to control my Prime's spectrum. Anyone have any thoughts?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime 16HD and I love it. Probably not gonna get much better for the $200 range I'm guessing. I just have been hearing a lot about the Noopsyche so I figured I'd as y'alls opinions.

I would just stick with the AI. When you say color, are you refering to the coral "pop" or something else

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just stick with the AI. When you say color, are you refering to the coral "pop" or something else
Coral Pop. I just posted basically the same question over on Noopsyche's website. Interesting convo going on over there lol Their sales guy is making a pretty good case. I just love the app for the Prime, makes it so easy to customize. The Noop does have more lights and he swears it will give better color and growth. I've gotta find the post @Dana Riddle made giving is thoughts on the Noop. I definitely value his input.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Coral Pop. I just posted basically the same question over on Noopsyche's website. Interesting convo going on over there lol Their sales guy is making a pretty good case. I just love the app for the Prime, makes it so easy to customize. The Noop does have more lights and he swears it will give better color and growth. I've gotta find the post @Dana Riddle made giving is thoughts on the Noop. I definitely value his input.
Here’s the link for the noopsyche results!

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the link for the noopsyche results!
After speaking with a Rep on their FB page and reading that exact post of the results I just ordered one! I'm really excited. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. I did read ONE comment that said he couldn't grow Acros but the guy must not dose the majors or something. Seems impossible to not be able to after seeing those PAR results at different depths... Wow! Hopefully it's not too primitive of a change in operation going from the AI app to the Noop controller but whatever. As long as the light is better and I see the results for myself I will be happy! Kinda bummed there's no moon light but I can probably just run 1% blue & 1% white at night time to simulate the moon light.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will chime in.
2years ago I had a 40B and had the Noopsyche lights. they had fantastic color pop and great shimmer and had great color and growth on my corals. I went from a radion g2 pro to the Noopsyche. My acros in that tank grew well and colored up well. At least till the Dinos killed them all :(
Fast forward to today.
I have a new tank that is a Reefer 350. I had 2 XR15 G4 lights on my tank. I decided I wasnt going to spend the money to add a 3rd XR15 after the disappointing par results I got testing them with a apogee 510 meter.
So I bought 3 noopsyche lights and got them yesterday and put them up. its been 2 years since I had them but I will say going from the XR15 to the Noop lights. all my corals pop way more and that is with trying to replicate the same color I was using on my radions.
Also the tank has a more 3D look. I dont know if its from the shimmer or what but it has more depth look vs the Radions for some reason the tank looked flat.
the controller leaves alot to be desiered. Once you get the lights dialed in you dont really need it much and they are great lights

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will chime in.
2years ago I had a 40B and had the Noopsyche lights. they had fantastic color pop and great shimmer and had great color and growth on my corals. I went from a radion g2 pro to the Noopsyche. My acros in that tank grew well and colored up well. At least till the Dinos killed them all :(
Fast forward to today.
I have a new tank that is a Reefer 350. I had 2 XR15 G4 lights on my tank. I decided I wasnt going to spend the money to add a 3rd XR15 after the disappointing par results I got testing them with a apogee 510 meter.
So I bought 3 noopsyche lights and got them yesterday and put them up. its been 2 years since I had them but I will say going from the XR15 to the Noop lights. all my corals pop way more and that is with trying to replicate the same color I was using on my radions.
Also the tank has a more 3D look. I dont know if its from the shimmer or what but it has more depth look vs the Radions for some reason the tank looked flat.
the controller leaves alot to be desiered. Once you get the lights dialed in you dont really need it much and they are great lights
Great personal experience!

Were your xr15 g4s pro versions?

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will chime in.
Fast forward to today.
That's a great tid bit you shared man, thanks! I'm super excited to get it and see how my corals color up. Been getting a lot of feedback similar to yours about these lights and the color. I've already got some beautiful colored corals now so I can't wait to see how they color up even more with the Noop! Having the controller VS the app was my only reservation. As you said though once you get it dialed in there's really no reason to mess with it anymore. Just the initial time it takes to set it up. What do you do to simulate the moon light on your Noop? Or don't you? I love having the moon light so I'll miss that too but I figure I can just run 1% of blue or something all night.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as of right now I dont have any moonlight. thats one thing that I will miss. I might add the Apex moonlights or something else to mimic it. Its not a huge deal but it was nice.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of right now I dont have any moonlight. thats one thing that I will miss. I might add the Apex moonlights or something else to mimic it. Its not a huge deal but it was nice.
Can you run one of the channels at 1% all night or does the timer not allow for it?

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it does do 1% but it doesnt go down to 1% like the radion or I guess prime does. 1% is still bright that it will light the whole tank dimly. id say 1% is close to something like 10% on my radion

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you should just add one or 2 t5 actinic lights or an actinic led bar

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should just add one or 2 t5 actinic lights or an actinic led bar
I dont have the room. We're talking this is over a 20 gallon nano tank not tk mention I have cathedral ceilings so there would be a massively long set of wires hanging down from my ceiling. That and there's no way my wife would go for that! Lol a nice thing about most of the LEDs now is the small pendant shape of them so to upgrade lighting intensity I would prefer just to upgrade the light itself which is what I did. I'll have the Noop next week, can't wait!

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does do 1% but it doesnt go down to 1% like the radion or I guess prime does. 1% is still bright that it will light the whole tank dimly. id say 1% is close to something like 10% on my radion
Aww dang. Oh well I guess I'll just buy a small moon light to mount to the underside then. Problem solved right?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have the room. We're talking this is over a 20 gallon nano tank not tk mention I have cathedral ceilings so there would be a massively long set of wires hanging down from my ceiling. That and there's no way my wife would go for that! Lol a nice thing about most of the LEDs now is the small pendant shape of them so to upgrade lighting intensity I would prefer just to upgrade the light itself which is what I did. I'll have the Noop next week, can't wait!

You can gey a hang on actinic only led that is pico size

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can gey a hang on actinic only led that is pico size
But I dont need one now. Plus I would much rather have my lights in one plug instead of multiple fixtures with more wires and more plugs. It's just messy and unneeded if you have the right light. I think I'm going to be very satisfied with the Noopsyche K7.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back