Nori: why is it the food pariah in my tank?

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Bit of a weird one here; have a mixed reef 100g and none of my 2 herbivores will touch Nori (or lettuce, or zucchini) and I’m concerned because I’d like them to have a great, varied diet.

Current fish list:
1x McCosker’s flasher
1x Canary Wrasse
2x Snowflake clowns
1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Purple Tang

All introduced over the last month and a half. They’re all getting on great, they are all fat fishies now and the Blenny and Tang are punishing the diatoms and brown algae. The tang also goes wild for mysis, fish roe, Rotifers and artemis.

But: neither the Blenny nor the tang will touch any sort of nori or any other vegetable I clip in the tank.

Should I be concerned and if so how did you guys and gals get your fish to go after nori instead of everything else?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like they have enough to eat as is, I suspect they’ll get around to the nori when the hair algae runs out. My yellow tang from the wild wasn’t interested at first but when I put the clip down so that the nori is pinned on a rock he started going for it and never looked back. Could also try tying a piece to a rock and see if that helps. My theory being he was skeptical of the clip and natural behavior is pecking at the rocks.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the clip around til I found a place they seem to like it. Took a while. Maybe it wouldn’t have mattered but I think it did. I left it in place for a few days and if they didn’t touch it I moved it. Their favorite spot is on the side near the sand.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my purple tang. "She" wont touch the Nori. "She" goes nuts for the brine shrimp, and pellets however.

At the same time I have a lot of diatoms and brown algae in the tank, and she spends a good part of the day pecking at it so Im not too worried at this stage. Maybe when it cleans up she will be more interested in the Nori.

Why do we think its so important to feed Nori to the tangs anyways? Is there some research that indicates its more beneficial to them? My tang seems more like a carnivore that pecks at the algae by the way she goes after the meaty food.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a refugium try growing some macroalgae. Red ogo is probably a simple one to try, can just throw it in the display as well. According to algae barn it also absorbs silicates so it might help compete with gha and diatoms.

I grow it in the display and the fuge to feed the urchins and eventually the yellowtail Pygmy angel my lfs has on order. Anytime I tried dried seaweed it just ends up decaying and fouling up the tank.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s anything magical about nori, it’s just that most established reef tanks don’t have much of any other kind of algae and feeding some kind of algae is important. For balanced nutrition, natural instincts, but also for the color pigments. Some people feed macro algae from their refugium. Whatever works, it’s just nori is cheap, easy, available at every fish store and Amazon, doesn’t really go bad, is easy to “dose” since it comes in neat little sheets, etc. It’s super convenient.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some tangs, wrasses clowns etc and never feed my tank those foods you mentioned. Not in decades. My Hippo tang never saw nori or lettuce neither did my last ten year old hippo.

My butterflies live a very long time as do my wrasses and lawnmower bleenies.

Those fish are better off eating normal, meaty aquarium foods.
If they need anything green they will find some in your tank someplace.

OP
OP
MrMreef

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some tangs, wrasses clowns etc and never feed my tank those foods you mentioned. Not in decades. My Hippo tang never saw nori or lettuce neither did my last ten year old hippo.

My butterflies live a very long time as do my wrasses and lawnmower bleenies.

Those fish are better off eating normal, meaty aquarium foods.
If they need anything green they will find some in your tank someplace.
Hey Paul - as a long time lurker; love your work.

I'll keep on with the regular food for sure!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you MrMreef. I try. :)

In the sea tangs eat a lot of algae. That is because their teeth are made for that but if they had teeth like a Great White Shark, they would also eat accountants. :rolleyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use natural like Julian Sprung or ocean nutrition. Some are roasted and have no flavr, scent or both. Try basting with garlic extract and may change things.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hands down the best nori. I haven't had a fish that won't eat it. Blennies, tangs, foxface, angels. I've even seen my firefish and tusk taking a bite. It also doesn't fall apart.

Mmar2385

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Bit of a weird one here; have a mixed reef 100g and none of my 2 herbivores will touch Nori (or lettuce, or zucchini) and I’m concerned because I’d like them to have a great, varied diet.

Current fish list:
1x McCosker’s flasher
1x Canary Wrasse
2x Snowflake clowns
1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Purple Tang

All introduced over the last month and a half. They’re all getting on great, they are all fat fishies now and the Blenny and Tang are punishing the diatoms and brown algae. The tang also goes wild for mysis, fish roe, Rotifers and artemis.

But: neither the Blenny nor the tang will touch any sort of nori or any other vegetable I clip in the tank.

Should I be concerned and if so how did you guys and gals get your fish to go after nori instead of everything else?
I have the same problem. I feed my purple tang: mysis shrimp, reef frenzy, krill, plankton, brine shrimp but she will not touch the nori! So I've been wondering the same exact thing! I'm glad you asked. What gives??

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to feed any meaty foods for a day or two. And dab some seachem garlic on the nori also cut them into strips so they rip off a bit easier

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will tomini tangs go after nori like yellow and powder blue tangs?
Mine never looks at it. . YET . . . . a 12" x 12" sheet will last Maybe 60 seconds with the others

1634264176286.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back