Normal Behavior

Arjunviper365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I put in my Black Snowflake Clownfish in my saltwater tank i just wanted to ask is this normal swimming

behavior for a clownfish in a new tank. Sometimes he will go really fast across the tank and start rubbing on a wall and sometimes he will go near the top of the tank and start swimming fast . I just want to know is this normal behavior for a brand new clownfish. The fish comes from a reputable LFS in my area. And the tank was cycled

tc3driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to me, maybe a little stressed, but that is to be expected. Fins aren't clamped, body shape looks good, it isn't crashing into the glass (has awareness of it's surroundings), I cannot really see the breathing so cannot make the judgement there, if it is more than ~1-1.5 breaths per second that might be some cause for concern (though this could also be stress induced).

Think about it this way, that is probably that fishes 3rd or 4th home in 2-3 weeks. You'd be a little stressed out too!. Give him some time to settle in, and relax...

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed one of my newly added juvenile clowns about 5 weeks ago when added a blennie few weeks ago .the clown seen the blennie then went crazy swimming around real fast for 2 days then settled down.and now couple weeks later i put pistol shrimp /goby pair in and clown again seen them and swimming around crazy.all i can put it down to is shock/ surprise of seeing other fish/shrimp maybe little scared but will settle as clown realises there is no threat

OP
OP
Arjunviper365

Arjunviper365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to me, maybe a little stressed, but that is to be expected. Fins aren't clamped, body shape looks good, it isn't crashing into the glass (has awareness of it's surroundings), I cannot really see the breathing so cannot make the judgement there, if it is more than ~1-1.5 breaths per second that might be some cause for concern (though this could also be stress induced).

Think about it this way, that is probably that fishes 3rd or 4th home in 2-3 weeks. You'd be a little stressed out too!. Give him some time to settle in, and relax...
Thanks for the reply. I looked at its breathing pattern and it seems normal it seems to be calming down and getting more comfortable with the tank with more time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back