Normal or abnormal?

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this fish from saltwaterfish.com
It is NOT in my DT it is in a non copper observation and treatment tank. I have a separate copper/hospital tank for those who need that level of treatment.
I’ve had it for a week. Eats very good and is very active.
Just noticed these white spots after I turned the lights off. I did a FW dip, didn’t see any flukes and also a medicated dip with Hydroplex. Is this just a natural variation in the skin or could it be something else. Not visible at all under blue light.
I can treat in its current location or move it up to the hospital tank but if anyone thinks it’s paralytic I’ll just treat the entire tank to treat all the fish in there and the environment and see how that goes. I don’t have any fish with signs of illness and they all entered the holding tank the same day except 2. Don’t see this on anyone else.

3D5C2D8D-71B8-4D12-9331-5A6F4A3536B1.jpeg

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a water change? My foxface, Naoko and hawkfish used to get white haze over their body when water was dirty. It's common that we over feed QTs to make fish fat.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a water change? My foxface, Naoko and hawkfish used to get white haze over their body when water was dirty. It's common that we over feed QTs to make fish fat.
Why would he need to do a waterchange. It’s part of a naso tangs coloration but only appears when there aren’t bright lights shining on it so also even if it’s daytime but he doesn’t have strong lights on his tank these dots will appear

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would he need to do a waterchange. It’s part of a naso tangs coloration but only appears when there aren’t bright lights shining on it so also even if it’s daytime but he doesn’t have strong lights on his tank these dots will appear
Is there a downside?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a downside?
Additional stress on the tang. Considering it’s new to the tank means it already went threw one acclimation to change in parameter within the water... now do we want to stack another one on top of that?

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional stress on the tang. Considering it’s new to the tank means it already went threw one acclimation to change in parameter within the water... now do we want to stack another one on top of that?
U understand that water changes are part of any aquarium's maintenance, right? the tang is in the open after freshwater and medicated dips so Its safe to assume that it's not stressed.
@Doglips56 Dullness is color suggests water quality issue, dullness in color/ camouflage plus hiding suggests stress. If u add heavy breathing to the mix or lying down on a side it suggests illness/ lack of oxygen.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is definitely not dirty. Changed the water a week ago and has an oversized uv. Crystal clear and I check for ammonia and nitrites regularly because of additional bioload and all good.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U understand that water changes are part of any aquarium's maintenance, right? the tang is in the open after freshwater and medicated dips so Its safe to assume that it's not stressed.
@Doglips56 Dullness is color suggests water quality issue, dullness in color/ camouflage plus hiding suggests stress. If u add heavy breathing to the mix or lying down on a side it suggests illness/ lack of oxygen.
Thank you @Sam81. Haven’t noticed any of the above. This pic was taken last night after lights out and it wasn’t hiding it was just hanging out. Not too maby places to hide in a 40g breeder. I’m certain it will look amazing in my125 after the observation period is up. I’ve never ordered fish online, this was my first time. Pleasantly surprised. It was a very long trip from CA to GA. This company has an agreement with fedex to hold them at the local terminal for pickup so there’s no added stress from being on a bouncy, non climate controlled delivery truck for hours. We went to pick them up as soon as we got the notification they had arrived. The most stressful period was dips, drip acclimation and tank transfer but I always turn tank lights off to reduce stress. All three of them look great and eat great and are active members of their little community. Now that they’ve settled in and are eating I will treat the water with metroplex. It is already well aerated so I don’t believe that to be an issue. I also put a filter on this photo to show the spots better so it may have made his or her other colors look a bit washed out. Thanks again everyone!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back