Northwest's 29 Gallon Non-Photosynthetic Reef

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After so many challenges (Equipment failure, tank leaking, etc) I finally have a setup I can get going!

This is going to be my 29 Gallon NPS Reef Tank. I've been fascinated with NPS for a long time, and I do have a couple species I've kept successfully, but as everyone says, I think they do best in a setup of their own. Huge Thanks to Matt Wandell and the Seattle Aquarium for inspiring and helping with this build. Now for the rundown:

Equipment:
-Aqueon 29 Gallon
-Aquaclear 70 HOB
-AI Nero 3
-Lighting | None, though I do have a Nicrew Freshwater Light I will turn on to view corals and to take pictures, though I have nothing running for long periods of time.
-Aquarium Co-op 100W Heater

Scape:
This is actually a pretty interesting story. So the NPS Tank at the Seattle Aquarium has become one of the favorite within recent years (you can view some photos I took here). Mainly because of the Wire Corals but the big colonies of Tubastrea are also insane. Thankfully, I became a High School Volunteer there (YOA) and it's been a blast the past 2-ish months I've been officially on the floor. Anyways, it's given me a good chance to really study the layout of the tank and I took a lot of inspiration from it for this scape. Most of it is really 2 rocks glued on top of each other on both sides but it makes for a nice Deepwater Look in my opinion. I'm hoping those will be covered in Tubastrea and Dendros in the coming months.
-20 Pounds Marco Rock
-20 Pounds CaribSea Special Grade Sand

Stocking:
Nothing in the tank now as it's still cycling, and while I don't have a set list, some species I'm set on having include: Tubastrea (Pink, Orange, Black), Dendros, Menlla sp. Swiftia Exersta, and a few others.
Fish is something I'm still wondering about as well. I'd like to move over my Pink Streaked Wrasse for sure, though I'm looking at a bunch of Biota Gobies and I have someone who might be able to get in something special. We'll have to wait and see.

Feeding:
Currently I've got Live BBS, PE Mysis, Reef Nutrition PhytoFeast, OysterFeast, and ROE. I heard Rotifeast is also good so I think I'll try that as well. I'd like to try TDO Pellets since it'd be easy to crush up for someone and feed while I'm away since I'm still trying to design an autofeeder.

I hope you all enjoy the ride!
DSC06034.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to decide if I should add more rock to the right side. This tank was originally a 20 Long and this scape fit perfectly, but that tank started to leak so I had to take it down.
On one hand, more rock would be nice for the Tubastrea to cover.
On the other, the 6" of height will be good for Gorgonians. I think I'll just have to see how big some of the corals come in, then decide later.
(Possible Gorgonian placement)
DSC06034.JPG

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also got my Nero schedule and settings up. Still making adjustments, but strong flow is a must.
This is my first time with any sort of app controlled equipment, though it was pretty easy to figure out.

Screenshot_20230302_091542_myAI.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back