60g Cube

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used 60g Deep Blue tank, system started Feb 2018. Cleaned and removed the inside bead and put a new bead of black silicone:
20180215_194310.jpg

Beginning scapes:
20180215_182818.jpg

Early on, pile o rocks:
20180224_122532.jpg

20180225_175438.jpg

Last edited:

paulsz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 35g version of this tank. Getting the rockwork to be tall without looking out of place was difficult for me. But you've done a great job on it, very cool!

Any plans for the stocking?

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks SPR, yeah I think I've turned it more towards the blue side since that pic, seems like that's the preferred spectrum of the grow lamps, big difference from the compact floro flood I used in my first setup.

Thanks Paul, yeah I was back and forth on the scape since my original plan was to do some zero gravity looking shelves etc, but once I started going i was happy with the outcome. Then I started second guessing it a couple months ago lol, but I'm back to liking it again. I'll have several more posts coming up that will bring the tank up to date that will cover livestock, equip, etc.

Thanks saints, I appreciate it :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tall tanks are tough, came out pretty good though. Bet it feels great to be back to reefing.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tall tanks are tough, came out pretty good though. Bet it feels great to be back to reefing.

I appreciate your honesty with "pretty good" :) I know it's not that great, but it's better than it looks. That whole jumble of rocks are on a huge Tonga type cave rock and 2 other pieces that have a good amount of open space under the main structure. I'll get a pic or 2 some time that show you can actually see right through one side to the other.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does feel good being back in the hobby, and I missed this aspect of it, the enjoying it with other people who share the same interest. I'm really glad I found R2R, I like the vibe here.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your honesty with "pretty good" :) I know it's not that great, but it's better than it looks. That whole jumble of rocks are on a huge Tonga type cave rock and 2 other pieces that have a good amount of open space under the main structure. I'll get a pic or 2 some time that show you can actually see right through one side to the other.

Ha! Was I that obvious. That was my concern, but looking again, I see what you mean. The bottom looks more open that I noticed on first glance. If the flow is good through it I like it a lot more. The top is very interesting the way the shapes poke out. That I really like. It is tough to make different types of rocks look good together and I think you nailed that.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Was I that obvious. That was my concern, but looking again, I see what you mean. The bottom looks more open that I noticed on first glance. If the flow is good through it I like it a lot more. The top is very interesting the way the shapes poke out. That I really like. It is tough to make different types of rocks look good together and I think you nailed that.

Thanks, but you're right. It's not very good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few more pics of the old system:

FTS.jpg

The Ugly:
SideShotFeb08.jpg

Then I turned it around:
SideShotFeb09.jpg

Some of the nasty things I had to deal with that came on the rock I got from someone in a local forum:

Bubble Algae:
TestBubble.jpg

Colonial Hydroids:
DSCN0822.jpg

Everyone's Favorite, Red Flatworms:
Test2.jpg

An Invasive Mushroom:
AnyBetter.jpg

But all in all I had it looking pretty nice by the time I broke it down and sold everything:
DSCN0886.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up picking the Kessil A360 and paired it with an H80 and a spectral controller. Money was tight, so this is what I used to pay for them:
change.jpg

Lol, I'm not kidding. I had a big jar of change. There was $630 in there!

This is the tank sometime soon after getting it running:
tank 9.jpg

And a pic of my first corals a month or so after the cycle ended:
tank 7.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back