OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a bit of research in setting up the Bubble Magus, and ran across some disappointing threads about it. Some people aren't happy with how well it skims, but luckily it seems like the common denominator is those people had the skimmer in water that was too deep. The manufacturer says it should be in 9.5 to 11 inches of water, but from what I read the sweet spot is about 7". My skimmer chamber in my sump is a consistant 10" deep, so I went ahead and made this nifty skimmer platform out of egg crate:
20190115_150034.jpg

Sits on it perfectly, the rubber feet fit inside the squares, and I just had to cut out a spot for the cord so it sits flat.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Update:

2/2: Added WWC Yellow Tips Acro, JF Fruity Pebbles Monti, JF Serial Killer Acro, RR The Vinh from @Sabellafella. At the 2 week mark they are all looking good, ended up fragging the SK and Vinh since they came off the plugs in pieces, but no losses.

2/14: Added 2 ReefBrite Lumi Lite Actinic strips. They are awesome, colors really pop now. Only downer is I dont have a bracket to attach them to my T5 fixture, just the legs they came with.

The black widow seems like it's doing well, it hasn't moved and looks good. Ruby red dragonet is looking good and putting on weight. I have a 2 head hammer coral that I added a couple months ago that looked like it died right off the bat, was just the skeleton left, but over the last month its regrown and is starting to extend polyps. Zoas are still +/-, some look better than others. A torch I got a few months ago is really looking good. When I got it there was some skeleton showing but now its regrown over the edges and has a lot more tentacles.

My doser is garbage and I'm taking it offline. I bought it used and I wish I didn't. It's a 3 channel unit, the first channel works ok, 2nd is dead, and 3rd doesnt work right (I noticed more fluid in the container than what I started with...). So I'm going back to manual dosing until I decide what to replace it with.

Parameters taken today:
8.4 dKH
440 Cal
1560 Mag
8.2 pH
< 5ppm Nitrate

Will post some pics later on when the lights come on.
Oh nice you got a build thread. My best friend just bought one of those black widow nems. Definitely a stunner. Now the stock reefbrite can be mounted to an ati fixture. You need to reverse the L brackets. If you could provide some photos of the strip and t5 fixture would be great. Maybe I can help you out

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. Here are those pics.

20190217_204650.jpg
20190217_204701.jpg

I just don't see any way to mount them so they are angled back into the tank like I've seen other reefbrites.

The fixture is a aquaticLife 6 bulb. I knew it wouldn't be a direct fit, but I thought I would be able to mod it to work. I just don't see that happening with these "legs" the strips came with.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks man. Here are those pics.

20190217_204650.jpg
20190217_204701.jpg

I just don't see any way to mount them so they are angled back into the tank like I've seen other reefbrites.

The fixture is a aquaticLife 6 bulb. I knew it wouldn't be a direct fit, but I thought I would be able to mod it to work. I just don't see that happening with these "legs" the strips came with.
So I've done a few projects with reefbrites in the past. If it is the same length as the fixture, you can try routing and drilling a piece of acrylic to make a mounting bracket. I used an L bracket fitted into those screws on the side of the led, then screwed that into my fixture. I believe I've seen a few coralife t5 fixture with a reefbrite attached to them on here but am having a hard time finding a photo of them.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've done a few projects with reefbrites in the past. If it is the same length as the fixture, you can try routing and drilling a piece of acrylic to make a mounting bracket. I used an L bracket fitted into those screws on the side of the led, then screwed that into my fixture. I believe I've seen a few coralife t5 fixture with a reefbrite attached to them on here but am having a hard time finding a photo of them.

Thanks, that's a good idea. The legs are working out for now, but I'm going to try to make something like what your suggesting if I can find the right material for it.

JacquieBeginnerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thread title got me sucked in! :)
Looking forward to see the journey of this one. Your old one was quite impressive too.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a nice size, but I was just in WWC today and they had a 65g Planet Aquarium tank with a ghost style OF, and it's just awesome. It's a bit shorter and longer than the cube. Combine that with the overflow being on the outside of the tank and it's a big winner. Of course it's $1300 for just the tank and stand :eek:

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was in Orlando with the fam and I had to go check it out while I was there...
20190410_104848.jpg

This is what you will see when you make the turn into their lot. @WWC really has a nice setup, clean tanks, helpful staff. They have a $5 frag tank with a buy 2 get one free deal that I wish I was able to take advantage of. I'm jealous of hobbyists who have them for their LFS.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back