Not a newb... but what in the holy mother of...

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda thinking that, not all barnacles hold the classic shape, a few bore almost tear shaped pits in the rocks to live in
I've seen them a bit in paleontology especially Acrothoracica trace fossils (not that this is his animal, most them are extremely small and they dont have the "crests" op's has

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres also a couple polychaetes that can present similarly, so id need a better picture to fully determine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The image is sort of dark and hard to see on my cell phone screen but that sure looks like an abalone not to say it is.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so theres a million very unrelated suggestions, lets start by talking about what is seen. There is a stiff shield like structure, it gets laid down for the rest the filter feeding part of the animal to expose its self to the water. the animal has relatively stiff projections on the body as a feeding apparatus. The main body of the animal is still concealed in the tube. Important pieces of information, is the shield one piece solid or is it divided into 2 equal halfs, are the halves seamed together or separate. I'd need to see the feeding apparatus in a slightly clearer shot to see the actual attachment and arrangement of the appendages.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should start staying up late and trolling R2R for all the freaky creatures coming out at night. And maybe see some cool marine life too!

OP
OP
ReefBridge

ReefBridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thank you all for pitching in with suggestions! I was able to get a video of it closing. It only closes when I put my hand above it and block the sump light a little bit. It seems like it is a filter feeder as it hasn’t moved, but it seems like the whole thing closes from multiple sides rather than two. I was able to get a video, so please check it out! I apologize for the loud crash in the video, that’s my wife banging some pots around. Feel free to watch it without sound.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on my phone but it’s not working.

Also please dose copper that thing shouldn’t exist IMO. ;Dead;Blackeye;Clown;Cold;Vamp;Punch;Rage;Walkingdead

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back