Not all of them will make it. ‍♂️

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an acro colony a couple weeks ago after trading in a big birdsnest I had grown out of room for. Things seamed to be going well until we got home from a camping trip this past weekend. Looks like I've got STN going now. Everything else is doing great and not showing any signs of stress although my nitrates and phosphates are a bit low. Gonna toss this one up to it just being a maricultured colony that isint working out for whatever reason. Ill be hacking it up this afternoon and throwing any undamaged branches onto frag plugs to see if the can pull through.

No reason to get down about it because I know and have had it happen in the past that some sps just won't work out in some systems. We will see if the frags pull through or continue to waste away.
20220807_193937.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Stn it appears and test your alk-salinity- CA-temperature

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's always a risk with Maricultured pieces. Their survivability is no better than a wild piece. Really shows the value of aquaculture! Hopefully you'll get some frags to survive and grow out.

Last edited:

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue happen to me just a couple weeks back. I picked up a Rainbow Millepora and I asked if it was mari or aqua cultured and they were adamant it was aquacultured. Colony started to STN but I ended making about a dozen frags and was able to save 80% of it. Hopefully you can do the same and have a ton of healthy frags

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stn it appears and test your alk-salinity- CA-temperature
All within range. 8.2, 1.026, 420 and 78 respectively they don't ever move too much ill be doing another round of tests after I frag it out today. Just to make sure. My tanks are loaded with acros this one is the only one with issues and is the most recent addition.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks less like RTN and more like tip burn. I do see a little damage further in but for the most part it's tip damage and now algae growing on it.

My guess would be too much par too quickly with either nutrients too low or alk too high. Maybe moving it in lower par for a bit could help.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks less like RTN and more like tip burn. I do see a little damage further in but for the most part it's tip damage and now algae growing on it.

My guess would be too much par too quickly with either nutrients too low or alk too high. Maybe moving it in lower par for a bit could help.
Nitrates and phosphates did bottom out on me while going fishless for a few months to kick itch and ive had a hard time keeping them up enough to read on a test. Regardless enough flesh was lost at the base and the ends of the branches that its time to frag it out and hope for the best. I tested again last night and my alk was 8.7 higher then I like to keep it so I lowered my dose a bit to compensate for the rise and it should be getting back to around 8 today.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back