not alot of replies to many members' requests for icp test decoding, did we waste our money on icp?

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 tests done ... Icp ... the first showed me bromide and arsenic in the red. The second test a few weeks later both where even higher. Now to me that’s just scary stuff since bromide I read will be absorbed thru the skin
Someone did answer me on the first question .... arsenic was only like 0.003 but then it got up to 0.009
Anyone knows where that stuff comes from or the bromide and how dangerous is it for me to put my hands in the tank ?

9C7A86CD-7BE4-4992-9562-3678393CA5F4.png
6B9B6F7E-2FDB-418F-A678-C3F0B63B37DF.jpeg

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i state this no to poke at anyone. Im searching this group to aid me in understanding my results and just seems to me, based on the lack of responses to many others members threads about icp results decoding, that this deep dive into these many elements, has alot of us stumped, or (no response = not sure), which is completely ok. I know, i know jack crap about molybdenum. HAHAHAHAHA.

should we stop preforming these kinda tests?, they do us no good if the research pool is very very very very very low (imo) heck, i can not even find info about some of these elements on the web/ outside this group.
I used the German guys from ati
It shows all the results of what you have bs what the levels should be and have color codes for the most serious matters to deal with first. Very helpful and saves money on dosing things that you probably don’t need to be dosing

AeldariDrukhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the ICP-Analysis only once and it said I should increase my iodine levels and that I had high levels of aluminum. Not sure where the aluminum came from maybe my Rexroth track holding my LED. But either way i just sent a second test yesterday three months later. Waiting to see if anything as changed in the time. Note I am only trying to keep LPS a small zoa garden and I might try out some forgiving SPS. 25gal IM lagoon.

AeldariDrukhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 tests done ... Icp ... the first showed me bromide and arsenic in the red. The second test a few weeks later both where even higher. Now to me that’s just scary stuff since bromide I read will be absorbed thru the skin
Someone did answer me on the first question .... arsenic was only like 0.003 but then it got up to 0.009
Anyone knows where that stuff comes from or the bromide and how dangerous is it for me to put my hands in the tank ?

9C7A86CD-7BE4-4992-9562-3678393CA5F4.png
6B9B6F7E-2FDB-418F-A678-C3F0B63B37DF.jpeg
How did you get your salinity levels from them?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it to see what was high or low after going 6 years without water changes. Other than potassium being a little high from dosing to much it was fine. Don't know why people have strange numbers if they are doing regular water changes and using ro/di water.

AeldariDrukhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to answer all of the icp questions, but I consider them low priority as most have already been answered for the same exact issue many times. Tin is high, what do I do? Same for aluminum. I’ve answered each of those at least 50 times.
I have a good question for you. Have you written any books or recommend any biology/chemistry books related to the reefing hobby?

sjohnson2152

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others that most info is already available if people are willing to do the research. A google search and some reading pretty much always produces the answers I'm seeking (I think I've maybe posted 2 questions on a forum in the last 10 years). I do not think ICP tests are a waste of money per se but I don't see the point in regular/frequent ICP testing. I have one around in case things start inexplicably declining to see if it holds any answers. When I had some STN and nothing else could explain it I sent one in to learn there were heavy metals in the water. I did some snooping and had a crack in the casing of my magnet mount on a gyre. Fixed the problem, things got better, and haven't tested since, but I keep one on the shelf just in case.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only tested twice because of the poison in my water. I m running GFO and I will send another test soon. I’ve researched that should do it. But how is it developed? And how dangerous is it to me ... that I could not find on google

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a no water change system.
I plan on running an icp test when my tank reaches 1 year which is one month away.
I plan on using it to see where my tank levels are vs what I test for.
Then use it as a reference.
Tank is looking good so for me it will be interesting to know the levels of all elements.

j0359m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started doing them about 8 months ago because I could never get SPS to grow to any extent, in fact they usually ended up dying. Since I started ATI ICP-OES & stopped doing water changes, began dosing trace elements things have taken off. Colours are much better, growth is visible daily & nothing dies anymore. I also started feeding coral more instead of just fish. I am happy with the results that always eluded me previous to testing. For me I will continue, for others do what works for you.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only tested twice because of the poison in my water. I m running GFO and I will send another test soon. I’ve researched that should do it. But how is it developed? And how dangerous is it to me ... that I could not find on google
What do you mean by poison in your water and how did it get there

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started doing them about 8 months ago because I could never get SPS to grow to any extent, in fact they usually ended up dying. Since I started ATI ICP-OES & stopped doing water changes, began dosing trace elements things have taken off. Colours are much better, growth is visible daily & nothing dies anymore. I also started feeding coral more instead of just fish. I am happy with the results that always eluded me previous to testing. For me I will continue, for others do what works for you.
What I always tell people quit trying to change everything leave it alone let it stabilize. Just monitor and adjust alk and calcium especially the first year. Keep out of the tank more observation and less tinkering.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I always tell people quit trying to change everything leave it alone let it stabilize. Just monitor and adjust alk and calcium especially the first year. Keep out of the tank more observation and less tinkering.
Good advice for beginers! Get to know your tank through testing and dosing. Regular water changes if your new will keep you in the game.
Biggest thing for new reefers is to pick your range of parameters and keep them their.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wait ... you don’t do water changes ? Because I m about 10% every 10 days and I do also have problems with sps

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wait ... you don’t do water changes ? Because I m about 10% every 10 days and I do also have problems with sps
No water change systems are not for new reefers. Stick with them at your current every 10 days until you understand whats going on in your tank.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good question for you. Have you written any books or recommend any biology/chemistry books related to the reefing hobby?
There are a lot of good books out there. Randy has written lots of articles. There are number of articles on this site. To be successful in this hobby one needs to to a lot of reading and research or learn by trail and error. I have been doing this for years and am always learning. I see many people with problems I have never had I don't look at it as luck I don't change things a lot and I don't over stock fish. Actually if you keep it simple it can be easy to lose interest because the tank will almost run itself.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of good books out there. Randy has written lots of articles. There are number of articles on this site. To be successful in this hobby one needs to to a lot of reading and research or learn by trail and error. I have been doing this for years and am always learning. I see many people with problems I have never had I don't look at it as luck I don't change things a lot and I don't over stock fish. Actually if you keep it simple it can be easy to lose interest because the tank will almost run itself.
Exactly well put!
Here is my 120 at 11 months since startup.
20200503_170211.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back