Not Bad for a Teenager! Squid's 200+ gallon system

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all! I'm currently 18 years old. Here is my build thread for my SPS-dominated mixed reef Innovative Marine 150 EXT with a 55 or 75 gallon sump, 100 gallon custom 6 ft acrylic tank for breeding dwarf cuttlefish, and 150 gallon rubbermaid FOWLR. Thanks for checking it out, and I hope you stick around!

I started with a fluval evo 13.5 for my 15th birthday, and it was a train wreck! Upgraded to a 75 gallon DT 55 gallon sump feb 2021, and it's been a similarly bumpy ride.
FTS 11/11/23
IMG_0875.jpeg

FTS 3/9/23
E3D775AC-5BE4-4376-9AA0-052EB21151FA.jpeg

I've had cyano, GHA, lyngbya, dinoflagellates, GHA again, and I finally have an almost clean tank. I try to reef on a budget, but almost every dollar I earn goes to this tank anyways :) I've been successful with a little bit of acros and I've had great success with Montipora, anacropora, and softies, over the last year. The tank's first coral was put in the tank in 2022, and I've seen a good bit of growth on everything. Tank still looks pretty sparse though. However, the main reason that I'm upgrading is because of tank issues with my 75 gallon. I bought it used, and it had a single drain instead of an overflow. This has resulted in numerous issues like leaks, clogging, and more that makes my life miserable.

So, in deciding to get a new tank, I figured I might as well go for the biggest and best I can get, since I'm staying at home for college anyways (saving money for grad school). I decided to order the Innovative Marine EXT 150. I love the shallow cube style of the tank, the aluminum stand, the build quality, and it was 40% off since it had to be made and there was a long lead time. I ordered the tank on January 8th, and got an email this week that have started building it. Expecting it in April-May. In the meantime, I have to clean up and get ready for a tank transfer. I'm using most of the old equipment from my current tank. Reef octopus 150 SS skimmer, 55 gallon sump, maxspect/icecap gyres, and since the new tank is exactly the same length as my current tank, I can use the same lights, a 48" Aquaticlife T5 hybrid with two AI primes. I do probably need a new light in the center. Also moving over all my rock and livestock. I have a 29 gallon tank with lots of new rock I've bought, and its holding a striped fang blenny, baby coral beauty, and green chromis to be moved over to the new tank.

Current Livestock:
Red Coris Wrasse (My monster! she makes it impossible to put anything on the sandbed, moving to an even bigger home soon)
Silverbelly Coris Wrasse
Redfin fairy wrasse
Hector's Goby
Cleaner Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby (my oldest fish)
Redhead goby
Scopas Tang
Royal Gramma
Flametail Blenny
4 Green Chromis
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
Ocellaris Clown
Coral Beauty
Striped Fang Blenny

Equipment:
Return: Jebao DCP 12000
Skimmer: Reef OCtopus SS 150
Lights: 48" Aquaticlife hybrid with two AI Primes
Sump: 55g with DIY baffles
Controller: Want to get a hydros in the future

Not a lot going on equipment-wise, my most success has been when I keep it simple!
Some interesting things also going on here: The entire right quarter of the tank will be dedicated to a 6-inch sandbed for garden eels! And I also plan to plumb in two custom 50g shallow acrylic tanks over the sump to house a frag tank and a mangrove/macro/nps tank with cuttlefish to replace my current 14g mangrove tank! I had baby dwarf cuttlefish, Sepia bandensis, in 2021 and I raised them from eggs and weaned them onto frozen, but I made a mistake with a water change and they all passed away overnight. Anyways, I love unique species! Will hopefully post photos when I get home today, looking forward to when the tank comes! Wish me luck everybody!

Last edited:
OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the plan for this system is huge. I'm a sucker for a good deal and a friend of mine also builds custom tanks. So I'm getting a little deal there. In June, once I've worked a couple weeks full-time, I'm ordering a 6-ft custom acrylic (or glass, lemme know which yall think is better) tank with a wall in thge middle. Each side will have an overflow and return. Side 1 is going to be a mangrove/rock flower nem/NPS/ dwarf cuttlefish tank, and side 2 is going to be a frag tank. I also need to get a rubbermaid 150 set up and plumbed in for my red coris wrasse, who is incompatible with anything that lives on the sand and I don't have the heart to get rid of my favorite fish, so she's getting her own tank., with maybe some other non-reef safe fish.

I also got a few new frags on saturday, including a bali green slimer, which is a coral I've wanted for a while!

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all! I'm currently 17 years old, 18 next month. I started with a fluval evo 13.5 for my 15th birthday, and it was a train wreck! Upgraded to a 75 gallon DT 55 gallon sump feb 2021, and it's been a similarly bumpy ride. I've had cyano, GHA, lyngbya, dinoflagellates, GHA again, and I finally have an almost clean tank. I try to reef on a budget, but almost every dollar I earn goes to this tank anyways :) I've been successful with a little bit of acros and I've had great success with Montipora, anacropora, and softies, over the last year. The tank's first coral was put in the tank in 2022, and I've seen a good bit of growth on everything. Tank still looks pretty sparse though. However, the main reason that I'm upgrading is because of tank issues with my 75 gallon. I bought it used, and it had a single drain instead of an overflow. This has resulted in numerous issues like leaks, clogging, and more that makes my life miserable. So, in deciding to get a new tank, I figured I might as well go for the biggest and best I can get, since I'm staying at home for college anyways (saving money for grad school). I decided to order the Innovative Marine EXT 150. I love the shallow cube style of the tank, the aluminum stand, the build quality, and it was 40% off since it had to be made and tehre was a long lead time. I ordered the tank on January 8th, and got an email this week that have started building it. Expecting it in April-May. In the meantime, I have to clean up and get ready for a tank transfer. I'm using most of the old equipment from my current tank. Reef octopus 150 SS skimmer, 55 gallon sump, maxspect/icecap gyres, and since the new tank is exactly the same length as my current tank, I can use the same lights, a 48" Aquaticlife T5 hybrid with two AI primes. I do probably need a new light in the center. Also moving over all my rock and livestock. I have a 29 gallon tank with lots of new rock I've bought, and its holding a striped fang blenny, baby coral beauty, and green chromis to be moved over to the new tank.
Current Livestock:
Red Coris Wrasse (My monster! she makes it impossible to put anything on the sandbed, moving to an even bigegr home soon)
Silverbelly Coris Wrasse
Redfin fairy wrasse
Hector's Goby
Cleaner Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby (my oldest fish)
Redhead goby
Scopas Tang
Royal Gramma
Flametail Blenny
4 Green Chromis
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
Ocellaris Clown
Coral Beauty
Striped Fang Blenny

Equipment:
Return: Jebao DCP 12000
Skimmer: Reef OCtopus SS 150
Lights: 48" Aquaticlife hybrid with two AI Primes
Sump: 55g with DIY baffles
Controller: Want to get a hydros in the future

Not a lot going on equipment-wise, my most success has been when I keep it simple!
Some interesting things also going on here: The entire right quarter of the tank will be dedicated to a 6-inch sandbed for garden eels! And I also plan to plumb in two custom 50g shallow acrylic tanks over the sump to house a frag tank and a mangrove/macro/nps tank with cuttlefish to replace my current 14g mangrove tank! I had baby dwarf currlefish, Sepia bandensis, in 2021 and I raised them from eggs and weaned them onto frozen, but I made a mistake with a water change and they all passed away overnight. Anyways, I love unique species! Will hopefully post photos when I get home today, looking forward to when the tank comes! Wish me luck everybody!
Awesome stuff! Super ambitious project and I will be following.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be a cool project. I had a few big tanks that I tried to convince my parents to let me set up! a 180 and 300-gallon. decided to sell them and wait until I got into my own place so I wouldn't have to worry about moving it in the near future. Now im 20 and have my own place, have quite a few systems in the works now.

Good luck on your tank! Also post pictures, people love pictures lol

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be a cool project. I had a few big tanks that I tried to convince my parents to let me set up! a 180 and 300-gallon. decided to sell them and wait until I got into my own place so I wouldn't have to worry about moving it in the near future. Now im 20 and have my own place, have quite a few systems in the works now.

Good luck on your tank! Also post pictures, people love pictures lol
Haha yeah my eventual move is something I'm worried about but I think the 150 is about as big as it'll get till post-grad school!

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to mention all of this is funded through my own personal expense, with a little help from my mom buying whatever corals or fish she likes, which is why I have such a big focus on saving money.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah my eventual move is something I'm worried about but I think the 150 is about as big as it'll get till post-grad school!
Smart! still be sure to plan easy disassembly and reassembly for when you do move. Also some universities require you to spend a year in a dorm. So keep an eye on that.

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got word my IM 200 peninsula touched down in the states.
what's your major?
Oh wait do you mean in college? I'm majoring in biology and getting a minor in chemistry. I'm currently and intern at a lab that's part of a salmon aquaculture project that I'm continuing through my undergrad, and I want to do aquaculture as a PhD.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wait do you mean in college? I'm majoring in biology and getting a minor in chemistry. I'm currently and intern at a lab that's part of a salmon aquaculture project that I'm continuing through my undergrad, and I want to do aquaculture as a PhD.
Nice! I'm Currently majoring in marine bio and im going for my PhD in either ichthyology or aquaculture. But thats gonna be a while till that happens as im getting married...

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'm Currently majoring in marine bio and im going for my PhD in either ichthyology or aquaculture. But thats gonna be a while till that happens as im getting married...
Good luck! Trying to start grad school straight after undergrad so I don't get sidetracked

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Trying to start grad school straight after undergrad so I don't get sidetracked
dont forget to enjoy life too. it goes by way to fast. maybe take 6 months off and travel the world before grade school?
either way good luck with he tank and studies

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back