Not enough refugium flow?

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cpr aquatics refugium with chaeto and a jbj refugium light. I have the pump it came with and the Cheetos not tumbling or moving at all the pump was rio brand I believe. Does it need more flow? It doesn’t seem to be growing and has been up for about 1.5 months. Nitrate is down but Phosphate is .24

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It dose need flow but not much, and tumbling is ideal but not needed, mine dose not.

Mine had a hard time growing then I started dosing Cheato Gro and it took off in both tanks.

I can only tell you what worked for me. Others may be able to science it up for you, if that’s what your looking for.

Brightwell Aquatics Chaeto Gro - Multi-Nutrient Supplement for Chaetomorpha Algae Growth in Marine Aquarium Tanks

OP
OP
bingus

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It dose need flow but not much, and tumbling is ideal but not needed, mine dose not.

Mine had a hard time growing then I started dosing Cheato Gro and it took off in both tanks.

I can only tell you what worked for me. Others may be able to science it up for you, if that’s what your looking for.

Brightwell Aquatics Chaeto Gro - Multi-Nutrient Supplement for Chaetomorpha Algae Growth in Marine Aquarium Tanks

Thanks!

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Genuinely asking this:

Isn't the point of chaeto to remove nutrients....so isn't it counter productive to add nutrients to get it to grow?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely asking this:

Isn't the point of chaeto to remove nutrients....so isn't it counter productive to add nutrients to get it to grow?
No, because I am not putting the phosphate and nitrates back. But without the other “ nutritions“ it can’t grow. By promoting growth, it will continue to remove phosphate and nitrates.

image.jpg image.jpg

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying! I've heard about people adding nitrates to help their refugiums so I guess that's what I was assuming.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cpr aquatics refugium with chaeto and a jbj refugium light. I have the pump it came with and the Cheetos not tumbling or moving at all the pump was rio brand I believe. Does it need more flow? It doesn’t seem to be growing and has been up for about 1.5 months. Nitrate is down but Phosphate is .24
Get a better fuge light.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a better fuge light.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back