Not happy about it but i knew it all along.......

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS frags and acans have always died in my reef and i always suspected the coral beauty but never had proof so i assumed it was peramiters? flow? lights?

i bought some SPS frags x 3 and an Acan and put them inside a fish acclimation box in the sand bed for 11 days. They looked great

I removed the box two nights ago. Wife just texted me the coral beauty was nipping at the acan frag and knocked it over.

So now .......... Im not happy but it looks like the CB gotta go . I dont want to give away my fish so ill probably put it in the sump

Question #1 is that a decent plan ethically wise ? sump? or should i give it to the LFS and hope they find a better home?

Question # 2 how do i catch only my CB and not the other 8 fish? I am assuming a net will be useless. So trap ? but how to target the CB only ???

Question #3 why did i get a reef tank again ? LOL they are more headache then enjoyable

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS frags and acans have always died in my reef and i always suspected the coral beauty but never had proof so i assumed it was peramiters? flow? lights?

i bought some SPS frags x 3 and an Acan and put them inside a fish acclimation box in the sand bed for 11 days. They looked great

I removed the box two nights ago. Wife just texted me the coral beauty was nipping at the acan frag and knocked it over.

So now .......... Im not happy but it looks like the CB gotta go . I dont want to give away my fish so ill probably put it in the sump

Question #1 is that a decent plan ethically wise ? sump? or should i give it to the LFS and hope they find a better home?

Question # 2 how do i catch only my CB and not the other 8 fish? I am assuming a net will be useless. So trap ? but how to target the CB only ???

Question #3 why did i get a reef tank again ? LOL they are more headache then enjoyable

you don't say how large your sump is, but compare that against size coral beauty needs... likely there is a vast size difference, and maybe aquascape, etc differences that also impact quality of life in sump vs tank

use a net ... or two... "start where you are, use what you have, do what you can" - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Dont beat yourself up. I have a coral Beauty, flame and potters in same tank and No issues. They are hit and miss hence the warning- Reef Safe Caution
Fish trap has Always worked for me as pictured below. Feed the fish with the fish trap open and let CB go in and eat day 1 and day 2 then Day 3 let the door go and trap it
trap3.jpg

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't say how large your sump is, but compare that against size coral beauty needs... likely there is a vast size difference, and maybe aquascape, etc differences that also impact quality of life in sump vs tank

use a net ... or two... "start where you are, use what you have, do what you can" - Arthur Ashe, tennis player
I am planning on getting a second tank maybe 30-50g variety

I do have a 10g tank i could put it in temporarily

The sump is small you are correct. it is 30 gallon but its broken up into 4 compartments so the actual tank he would be in is probably less then 8 gallons............not a good or fun life I wont do that

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3 the question is not why did you get a reef tank but why you got a coral beauty for your reef tank?
#2 fish traps ive know to be successful. But patience is required.
#1 need dimensions as mentioned but i would say not for long.
I researched coral beauty of course and they are " reef safe with caution"

i never saw anyone say they will kill every acan you introduce and destroy every SPS coral you put in the tank so yeah i guess i missed that part when researching coral beauty LOL

I have read lots of people have success with them no issues as well . I guess i just got unlucky

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont beat yourself up. I have a coral Beauty, flame and potters in same tank and No issues. They are hit and miss hence the warning- Reef Safe Caution
Fish trap has Always worked for me as pictured below. Feed the fish with the fish trap open and let CB go in and eat day 1 and day 2 then Day 3 let the door go and trap it
trap3.jpg
That is a good idea thank you

Question if the CB goes in day 1 why dont you just close the door then? why wait 3 days?

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wanted a CB. I have refrained for fear of this.
I'd rehome it. Sump is no place for such a fish
Yeah i think ill be buying a second tank for quarantine purposes. The CB can live in this new 30-50 g tank

Ill rehome it in my current 10 g quarantine tank until then if i can catch it haha

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched coral beauty of course and they are " reef safe with caution"

i never saw anyone say they will kill every acan you introduce and destroy every SPS coral you put in the tank so yeah i guess i missed that part when researching coral beauty LOL

I have read lots of people have success with them no issues as well . I guess i just got unlucky
You all good! I know - i want a filefish lol. Even worse track record haha. I like the trap @vetteguy53081 recommended. If you trust your lfs to do well with it then thats the route id take.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is a good idea thank you

Question if the CB goes in day 1 why dont you just close the door then? why wait 3 days?
Oh. . . If you can by all means trap it. Generally they are scared up front so day and and 2 is to get them comfortable then Surprise !!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught many fish using one of these:

It actually works quite well! Best part is you can pick and choose which fish you want to catch. Usually takes a day or 2 before the fish are comfortable going into it. After they are, it's easy peasy to catch them.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It actually works quite well! Best part is you can pick and choose which fish you want to catch. Usually takes a day or 2 before the fish are comfortable going into it. After they are, it's easy peasy to catch them.

I'm going to buy one of these just to have in my supply inventory.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm going to buy one of these just to have in my supply inventory.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've got the same problem with my CB. He loves to pick at any new corals I add. But I've found it's all about where I put those frags. I tend to put new coral low along bottom to acclimate to light, but that's his swimming lane to outmaneuver the tangs and be able to go in/out caves. Moving the frags out of his lane - near corners, up more at overhangs, etc. And he loses all interest. Then later I can put the coral where I want without problem.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3 the question is not why did you get a reef tank but why you got a coral beauty for your reef tank?
#2 fish traps ive know to be successful. But patience is required.
#1 need dimensions as mentioned but i would say not for long.

Eh I don't find it that common that they nip at coral.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Wouldnt be listed as reef safe with caution if they werent known to

True but out of the hundreds or how many I've sold I've only known few customers to have reported an issue. Then again, people are not reliable in finding out what causes x so that's something to consider.

Back