Not happy about it but i knew it all along.......

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but out of the hundreds or how many I've sold I've only known few customers to have reported an issue. Then again, people are not reliable in finding out what causes x so that's something to consider.
I agree w/ you very few came back - tho they were informed - and the acans seemed to be a common theme as were clams.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more inclined to remove the ACAN than the fish unless it's nipping at others.
Put the ACAN in the QT?
Just put the acan in a different area for a few weeks - I bet it loses interest in it

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed lots haha 4-6 cubes of frozen a day plus nori and pellets

I have tried 6 acans in different spots of the tank

I put my 4 new frags back under the acclimation box for protection until i figure out what im going to do with the CB.

Think the plan is to get a second 30-50 gallon tank and move the CB in there . I love my CB and i hate moving fish / relocating but Acans are literally my favourite coral and its painful that i cant have them in my mixed reef tank

I think this acan frag might already be dead from 2 days unprotected with the CB .......... brutal . I am hoping it recovers back inside the protective dome but who knows ...... the sps frags also are not looking happy the polyps are not visible anymore. The frags have colour but not like they looked before

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed lots haha 4-6 cubes of frozen a day plus nori and pellets

I have tried 6 acans in different spots of the tank

I put my 4 new frags back under the acclimation box for protection until i figure out what im going to do with the CB.

Think the plan is to get a second 30-50 gallon tank and move the CB in there . I love my CB and i hate moving fish / relocating but Acans are literally my favourite coral and its painful that i cant have them in my mixed reef tank

I think this acan frag might already be dead from 2 days unprotected with the CB .......... brutal . I am hoping it recovers back inside the protective dome but who knows ...... the sps frags also are not looking happy the polyps are not visible anymore. The frags have colour but not like they looked before
Bummer. Some fish are incorrigible. I've been lucky

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS frags and acans have always died in my reef and i always suspected the coral beauty but never had proof so i assumed it was peramiters? flow? lights?

i bought some SPS frags x 3 and an Acan and put them inside a fish acclimation box in the sand bed for 11 days. They looked great

I removed the box two nights ago. Wife just texted me the coral beauty was nipping at the acan frag and knocked it over.

So now .......... Im not happy but it looks like the CB gotta go . I dont want to give away my fish so ill probably put it in the sump

Question #1 is that a decent plan ethically wise ? sump? or should i give it to the LFS and hope they find a better home?

Question # 2 how do i catch only my CB and not the other 8 fish? I am assuming a net will be useless. So trap ? but how to target the CB only ???

Question #3 why did i get a reef tank again ? LOL they are more headache then enjoyable
I caught mine, with a trap, that had a door that I had to hold the fish line. took about 8 minutes just put food in the back of it, and wait. yes, I caught 1/2 the fish in the tank, but shoo'd them away. it was so simple, it's stupid.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB(s) will nip at anything new. It also nipped everything when I first put it in thank but that's it. It loses interest once it figures out what it is. It loves nori and the meaty foods I feed. When I add a coral I fully expect the CB to check it out for a day or two.

They have never wiped out a coral. Minor damage at best.

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught mine, with a trap, that had a door that I had to hold the fish line. took about 8 minutes just put food in the back of it, and wait. yes, I caught 1/2 the fish in the tank, but shoo'd them away. it was so simple, it's stupid.
I think if i put shrimp in a trap ill get that CB right away i can trap many fish at the same time and just release the non problem ones .

Or build some kind of mini fishing rod with a barbless hook and go fishing haha

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CB(s) will nip at anything new. It also nipped everything when I first put it in thank but that's it. It loses interest once it figures out what it is. It loves nori and the meaty foods I feed. When I add a coral I fully expect the CB to check it out for a day or two.

They have never wiped out a coral. Minor damage at best.
That is pretty lucky then . I am so torn I think ill probably just keep the CB in the display and maybe just put acans in my smaller tank once i get it.

30-40 gallon acan onlly tank haha

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. Because at the end of the day, we all make mistakes, or regret things - man my first year was rough - but I learned a lot

Bonus: now you might be able to keep sps and acans!

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty lucky then . I am so torn I think ill probably just keep the CB in the display and maybe just put acans in my smaller tank once i get it.

I did get them when they were very small. That may have something to do with it. They were a little over an inch long. Very small for a CB.

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several coral beauty's, I haven't seen them nip anything. I'm a heavy feeder though, not sure if that makes a difference.

My fish trap is brilliant. I've caught so many fish in it. I can't use nets, within 2 mins I'm considering smashing the tank and using my hands.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back