Not ich....so what is it?

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our baby tomini has discolored white spot on him. It's not ich. It's not raised. Just almost like white patches. He's in QT with two long fin clowns. QT is currently copper dosed due to seeing spots on the clowns when added to DT. They were removed less than 20 minutes later. Spots on clowns where ONLY seen under the LEDs of the DT. You can't see them in the QT tank. So, what is this? They are feed pellets and nori sheet (for tang)

received_529455031426407.jpeg

amazin112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Tomini with a similar issue and have been advised it's possibly flukes. Mine was in copper QT also and I went ahead and dosed prazipro to help alleviate the issue. I have linked my thread below in case there is a response there before here.

my Tomini thread

OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Tomini with a similar issue and have been advised it's possibly flukes. Mine was in copper QT also and I went ahead and dosed prazipro to help alleviate the issue. I have linked my thread below in case there is a response there before here.

my Tomini thread
His aren't that bright. They are paler.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His aren't that bright. They are paler.
Can you try for better/brighter pictures? From what I can see here, I’d say it is skin discoloration from fluke activity.
Jay

Froster92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my Tomini thread
The OP is my wife, on yours I can see its raised. But on ours its not raised spots. If anything it looks like theres skin missing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a freshwater dip, not flukes.
FW dips only show Neobenedenia flukes, smaller Gyrodactylids can only be seen if you look at settle dip water under a microscope. Still, a FW dip will buy you some time if they are flukes (but won't cure them).

Is the tang still in copper? What brand are you using? Have you dosed any other meds yet?

Jay

Froster92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dips only show Neobenedenia flukes, smaller Gyrodactylids can only be seen if you look at settle dip water under a microscope. Still, a FW dip will buy you some time if they are flukes (but won't cure them).

Is the tang still in copper? What brand are you using? Have you dosed any other meds yet?

Jay
Its in cupramine, we started it about 3 days ago, no other medicines. Hes eating and healthy just really really shy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its in cupramine, we started it about 3 days ago, no other medicines. Hes eating and healthy just really really shy.
How long have you been at full dose Cupramine? Copper can take more than three days to work, so you should give that some more time I think.
Jay

Froster92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been at full dose Cupramine? Copper can take more than three days to work, so you should give that some more time I think.
Jay
Were following the instructions on the bottle so were at about half dose right now and should go to full dose tomorrow.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were following the instructions on the bottle so were at about half dose right now and should go to full dose tomorrow.
Oh, you need to get to full dose and then reassess after 3 days or a bit more.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill try that, he wasnt looking so hot after the freshwater dip, just laying on the bottom. So hopefully he makes it through.
Remember, it well could have had flukes....after a FW dip, all the flukes drop off, and the fish can lose a lot of blood, making them weak or even killing them. Still, you need to stay the course with the copper since you aren’t even at a therapeutic dose yet.
Jay

Froster92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, it well could have had flukes....after a FW dip, all the flukes drop off, and the fish can lose a lot of blood, making them weak or even killing them. Still, you need to stay the course with the copper since you aren’t even at a therapeutic dose yet.
Jay
We looked in the container after the dip and didnt see anything.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We looked in the container after the dip and didnt see anything.
Sorry, as I mentioned a few posts back, you can only see 1 species of fluke with just your eyes. The other ones all require a microscope and a practiced eye (they scrunch up into little specks).
Jay

Froster92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, as I mentioned a few posts back, you can only see 1 species of fluke with just your eyes. The other ones all require a microscope and a practiced eye (they scrunch up into little specks).
Jay
Ok well i guess we will just maintain course and see what happens. Thanks for the information.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back