Not liking new classifieds

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perhaps you can explain what you are trying to achieve with this new system @revhtree ? Been here going on a decade and always just had the old sell threads and it worked for so many years very well. The feedback system I see you are creating is amazing and I think thats a GREAT step in the right direction, but I guess I'm just confused as to why it changes "how" we sell stuff, rather than just the "addition" of a feedback system. Maybe this could help us understand and provide more quality feedback rather than just I don't like this and that.

While I've listed out my main concerns and the changes I'd like to see, I'll be honest even if that changes, I still prefer the old way, its just simple and easy to use and navigate. I guess I don't see what was "wrong" with a regular sell thread we've used for years?

One of the main reasons for a classified section of the forum is to help drive new traffic to the forum. The better the system the better the return on traffic. The old way is comfortable but it's not the best way in the long run.

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also perhaps a sticky showing off the new feedback system as it seems it’s not being utilized
I’m not sure how anyone could use the feedback as it stands. If you can only have one ad at a time then you have to close them as soon as an item sells in order to list another. And allowing only one picture severely limits the amount of items or details a seller can show.

thanks for listening to our feedback though :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure how anyone could use the feedback as it stands. If you can only have one ad at a time then you have to close them as soon as an item sells in order to list another. And allowing only one picture severely limits the amount of items or details a seller can show.

thanks for listening to our feedback though :)

We’re going to up the limits and really expand the feedback page. Any suggestions for that?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re going to up the limits and really expand the feedback page. Any suggestions for that?
I would suggest requiring all feedback to linked to a specific classified ad that the seller and buyer have made a post on. That is how this photography forum (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10) operates their buy/sell section feedback system, and it's great, because it decreases the likelihood that people can post fake retaliatory poor feedback. Also, it would be helpful if buyers and sellers could respond to feedback to tell their side of the story.

Also, I recently made my first post selling something here on R2R, and I found it extremely confusing that I was still able to create a post the old way on marketplace, without creating a classified ad. Was this just a temporary circumstance created by the transition? If we're moving toward only using the classified system, we should just get rid of the old way, so there aren't two simultaneous options available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest requiring all feedback to linked to a specific classified ad that the seller and buyer have made a post on. That is how this photography forum (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10) operates their buy/sell section feedback system, and it's great, because it decreases the likelihood that people can post fake retaliatory poor feedback. Also, it would be helpful if buyers and sellers could respond to feedback to tell their side of the story.

Also, I recently made my first post selling something here on R2R, and I found it extremely confusing that I was still able to create a post the old way on marketplace, without creating a classified ad. Was this just a temporary circumstance created by the transition? If we're moving toward only using the classified system, we should just get rid of the old way, so there aren't to simultaneous options available.
Honestly I feel like with the way things are right now, if you get "rid" of the old way completely its just going to do the opposite of what @revhtree wants and drive people away from the site instead of trying to adapt to the new classified section. People aren't really liking it right now. Honestly when I first came to this site years ago it was purely to sell off extra equipment I had or to buy new stuff. The selling factor was purely why I was here. Afterwards I figured out the wealth of information here and stayed and enjoy the whole site rather than just the selling/buying aspect.

I honestly believe thats why alot of people are here cause FB groups are a pain to find/get into and deal with and if you don't have good LFS around you such as me, then this site is like the primary source of being able to get Livestock without going through a vendor and paying crazy high prices.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I feel like with the way things are right now, if you get "rid" of the old way completely its just going to do the opposite of what @revhtree wants and drive people away from the site instead of trying to adapt to the new classified section. People aren't really liking it right now. Honestly when I first came to this site years ago it was purely to sell off extra equipment I had or to buy new stuff. The selling factor was purely why I was here. Afterwards I figured out the wealth of information here and stayed and enjoy the whole site rather than just the selling/buying aspect.

I honestly believe thats why alot of people are here cause FB groups are a pain to find/get into and deal with and if you don't have good LFS around you such as me, then this site is like the primary source of being able to get Livestock without going through a vendor and paying crazy high prices.
I get what you’re saying, but here’s the thing… Literally everyone on the face of the planet hates change. 99% of people will adapt. They’ll also complain… But they’ll adapt.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you’re saying, but here’s the thing… Literally everyone on the face of the planet hates change. 99% of people will adapt. They’ll also complain… But they’ll adapt.
I've also seen companies do that and fail miserably and lose all their business lol.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also seen companies do that and fail miserably and lose all their business lol.
A website format change caused a previously thriving business to go under? With no other variables in play? I’d love to hear about those examples.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A website format change caused a previously thriving business to go under? With no other variables in play? I’d love to hear about those examples.
No I'm not talking about a website change, but I was referencing "change" in itself with a "product" It does apply.

SillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is not as smooth as we would like at least they are trying to better the system.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has not worked out well for Microsoft and Windows 10. Most people that I know just hate it and have either stayed on Win7 or moved over to Ubuntu or Macs.
I remember when Microsoft changed VS6 completely and that move just about drove 60% of programmers over to Python. MS Office is another example.

Anyway I doubt that the Classifieds will return to the way it was before but maybe constructive ideas on improvements could make the experience more palatable.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main reasons for a classified section of the forum is to help drive new traffic to the forum. The better the system the better the return on traffic. The old way is comfortable but it's not the best way in the long run.

Love this answer, refreshing to get an honest understanding from a business point of view why the need for the change.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're also getting off topic. Bring it back to feedback for the mods so we can fix this.
I gave feedback, you told me I was wrong basically because change will drive everyone away and make reef2reef fail. My point is that a change like this has never made a thriving business fail, and you just admitted as much, because there are not examples of a website change like this sinking an otherwise thriving business. People will be upset for a while, because they don’t like change. Then they will adapt to the new system, and continue to use the website. Because although change can be hard, it is not necessarily bad.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave feedback, you told me I was wrong basically because change will drive everyone away and make reef2reef fail. My point is that a change like this has never made a thriving business fail, and you just admitted as much, because there are not examples of a website change like this sinking an otherwise thriving business. People will be upset for a while, because they don’t like change. Then they will adapt to the new system, and continue to use the website. Because although change can be hard, it is not necessarily bad.
Bud, I never said you were "wrong". I gave my opinion to your feedback. Sorry you took it that way. I also never admitted that a change like this has never made a thriving business fail. I've seen it fail multiple times over my years of a company making a change to a product, the consumer base hating it and stop using the product altogether. I'm not saying it will make R2R fail, but it could drive traffic away.

Again lets keep it to feedback of improving the system, rather than this discussion.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on a different thread about the classifieds, but I'll post something similar here as well. I know people don't like change and can be resistant, but I think the real issue is that people don't like change without knowing why the change is happening. In this case, I don't think the Mods have laid out the issues with the old system, how they intend to fix them, and their final goal of the classifieds. Maybe if we had more information, people could get on board.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on a different thread about the classifieds, but I'll post something similar here as well. I know people don't like change and can be resistant, but I think the real issue is that people don't like change without knowing why the change is happening. In this case, I don't think the Mods have laid out the issues with the old system, how they intend to fix them, and their final goal of the classifieds. Maybe if we had more information, people could get on board.
Revhtree did explain that earlier in this thread. The point is to drive traffic to the site.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud, I never said you were "wrong". I gave my opinion to your feedback. Sorry you took it that way. I also never admitted that a change like this has never made a thriving business fail. I've seen it fail multiple times over my years of a company making a change to a product, the consumer base hating it and stop using the product altogether. I'm not saying it will make R2R fail, but it could drive traffic away.

Again lets keep it to feedback of improving the system, rather than this discussion.

I said @revhtree should make it only possible to make a classified ad one way, instead of multiple ways to avoid confusion, and to avoid having to look in several different places to make sure you don't miss an ad.

You replied with this:

Honestly I feel like with the way things are right now, if you get "rid" of the old way completely its just going to do the opposite of what @revhtree wants and drive people away from the site instead of trying to adapt to the new classified section.""

When I said that I'd love to actual examples of website changes like this dooming a thriving company (as opposed to making a couple vocal people who don't like change leave), you responded:

No I'm not talking about a website change, but I was referencing "change" in itself with a "product" It does apply."

So, my suggestion stands: make one system available, not multiple.

I'll wait for your reply explaining how you're right, and then instructing me to get back on topic.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said @revhtree should make it only possible to make a classified ad one way, instead of multiple ways to avoid confusion, and to avoid having to look in several different places to make sure you don't miss an ad.

You replied with this:

When I said that I'd love to actual examples of website changes like this dooming a thriving company (as opposed to making a couple vocal people who don't like change leave), you responded:

So, my suggestion stands: make one system available, not multiple.

I'll wait for your reply explaining how you're right, and then instructing me to get back on topic.
Brother you are very aggressive. I'm just going to leave this alone to hopefully keep this to feedback.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back