not new to a reef tank but new to a sump set up

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got back in after having a 60 gal with a hang on refugium a few years back now I have a 220 with a 56x12x14.5 sump pre made for a swim tank. I really want to have a refugium so im willing to scrape out the baffles and redo them myself.
here is the current set up
20180804_113731.jpg
and mind the horrible lines and writing my idea for the new.....
sump idea.jpg
as for the key on this
yellow - my guess of the current water level if I changed nothing
blue - current set up with return, siphon and where the equipment would go
green - total removal
red - my idea of having four compartments, left to right. left would be the siphon with socks, then baffles for water bubbles, then protein skimmer, heater, a baffle then the return, another baffle that will allow 8 inches in the refugium and last the refugium with a low flow siphon outlet. also I would use Herbie flow and check valves and raise the whole water level to 6 inches so I could have more volume of water than the current setup that I would guess would only be about 4 inches

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you have a great plan, check out my build and others as it helped me to fine tune things especially wiring, dos tubing, ATO ect

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one week in with the tank I'm still dry and this sump is one of the hold ups I drew out the dimensions on paper, (I work better with my hands then drawing on the computer.) This is what I have, not a big fan of it.... I'm not in a dead end, I am willing and capable of redoing the glass buffers. But I like the size of the sump and once there is water in the display tank that sump is not going anywhere. I posted this looking for suggestions on using this set up or a site or thread of what I would need to make. Few of my requirements are

two return pumps to display so I will need room for them

I will be using a protein skimmer

gonna have to make at least one bubble trap

room for ceramic bio-media plates,

and I want to have room for algae grower, and or refugium. there is another 15 inches left on the side under the stand if that would be big enough to have a separate tank thinking a 14x14x18 cube

tell me what everyone thinks
Thanks,
drawing of sump.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back