Not quite shipping but multi day travel- moving

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
So those with experience in shipping probably have the best chance at having some input on this. We're moving next week, and there's a couple of corals I have left that I'm not 100% on if I'm selling or not. (Two euphyllia and a duncan... maybe a nice olive snail and a couple zoa frags but trying not to get away from myself here). It will be two days in the car, and probably a day on either side out of their home tank so maybe 4 days. Once we get there I'll be able to get a 10g running pretty quick and I could always buy water to keep up on any changes.

My question is if you think it's plausible that they might be able to make it that long without having any issues?

The plan would be to take one of those 2 gallon igloo sports drink coolers, a little pump from those horrible betta kits, and a betta heater. It'll be able to be plugged in in the car, with Covid and other pets we'll be staying in the car overnight anyway.
Do you think those corals would have a chance? How risky would you say it is?

No fish to produce ammonia, but I have no idea what a coral might produce at any rate, and I could buy premixed saltwater upon arrival. How often would I have to change my water?

Would the stress of being jostled around just be too much for that long? I don't want to do it if my corals will be too stressed, but they're the prized pieces in my collection so it would be nice to be able to take them.

I know that a lot of LFS might hold and ship, but I'm not sure I'd want to go through all that especially during the holiday shipping season with so many other things interrupting shipping.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a way to power a pump and heater in the cooler 24/7, you wont have any issues.
Ive blacked out my tank for a week. Corals wernt happy but i wouldnt be either.

Throw a small piece of liverock in and youll be g2g.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a way to power a pump and heater in the cooler 24/7, you wont have any issues.
Ive blacked out my tank for a week. Corals wernt happy but i wouldnt be either.

Throw a small piece of liverock in and youll be g2g.
Oh gosh, not sure that's the answer I should be hearing in terms of adding more things to transport but it's reassuring at least.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh, not sure that's the answer I should be hearing in terms of adding more things to transport but it's reassuring at least.
Well you dont NEED to. So just omit the liverock and travel on :)

I was just meaning a small golf ball size piece to help keep the water as stable and clean as possible.
It very well might do just fine without it.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you dont NEED to. So just omit the liverock and travel on :)

I was just meaning a small golf ball size piece to help keep the water as stable and clean as possible.
It very well might do just fine without it.
Oh for sure, I just meant it in terms of one more living thing to tend to on the trip on top of the dogs, cats, reptiles, and and and

I might just bring the rock I suspect my pistol shrimp lives in :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back