Not quite sure seems like a lot to me

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 5 gal evo and I have the pump that came with the tank pumping 80gph and another water circulator pumping another 80 gph so 160 gph total it seems like too much to me. maybe I'm wrong?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 5 gal evo and I have the pump that came with the tank pumping 80gph and another water circulator pumping another 80 gph so 160 gph total it seems like too much to me. maybe I'm wrong?
How does it look if you stir it up? Or use food to see the flow.

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it kind of goes everywhere I think its called the chaotic waterflow, where it is flowing in every direction randomly without any type of wave maker or timer of any sort.

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just having a really hard time getting back into this hobby and its already starting to not look good as I can see from with what I have right now.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it kind of goes everywhere I think its called the chaotic waterflow, where it is flowing in every direction randomly without any type of wave maker or timer of any sort.
Sound pretty good to me.
Turbulant is the term.

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh ok I could not for the life of me remember that word. -_- I just have it so my sand isn't a sandblaster in the tank and that my corals don't look like there blowing off the rock. just once in a while get a little burst of water flow.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just having a really hard time getting back into this hobby and its already starting to not look good as I can see from with what I have right now.
Every tank is a bit different and some would kill for great big flow or to not have to put a head in the tank.
The only slight possible prob is you may have a bit too much for some coral. But it's hard to say. Some say animals like low flow are the same ones in my tank getting bladed and loving it.

A key is to be flexible to what's handed to you in terms of animals chemisty flow etc. every tank has different challenges. Even in a hose with multiple tanks and the same reefer doing the same thing in every tank.
Part of the addiction and challenge I suppose.

I do find that many worry too much about things that may not be a problem mainly form the theory that there are firm rules in the hobby.

If that were true I couldn't grow Xenia under the 600+ par I have them in next to my acros.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh ok I could not for the life of me remember that word. -_- I just have it so my sand isn't a sandblaster in the tank and that my corals don't look like there blowing off the rock. just once in a while get a little burst of water flow.
You are the only one who can see it so def you'll be the judge.

nc208082

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base it on your system volume and turnover rate. At 5g 50 gph is your 10x and 500 gph is 100x turnover. At 160 your at about 33x turnover rate which is fine for a mixed reef.

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is true I just wanted to get another persons opinion because there are so many people locally that are telling me everything different. So I am trying my best to figure everything out and going, ok this works but this doesn't. Just trying to keep a notebook with everything in it and trying to keep everything alive.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base it on your system volume and turnover rate. At 5g 50 gph is your 10x and 500 gph is 100x turnover. At 160 your at about 33x turnover rate which is fine for a mixed reef.
Those turnover rates are based on a sumped tank to allow a properly rated skimmer to work most efficiently I thought.

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I couldn't figure out the calculation just looking up everything and trying to learn what I can without feeling like a total idiot.

nc208082

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those turnover rates are based on a sumped tank to allow a properly rated skimmer to work most efficiently I thought.
That's different turnover. That's sizing a return pump for your sump that your thinking of.

I'm talking about amout of flow in your dt tank for basis of if it's enough for your corals.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's different turnover. That's sizing a return pump for your sump that your thinking of.

I'm talking about amout of flow in your dt tank for basis of if it's enough for your corals.
But an acro needs much much more than a zoa. And a gorg and sea fan need a much different kind of flow. (Laminar)
Thus my not using numbers to determine the flow in a tank for "coral".

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surge is the last type of flow.

I thingbits better to judge the corals flow needs in inches or cm per second. My finger Iis four in and I say one one one thousand two one thousand and see how the food goes past.

ROE eggs are the best. It's like lil ping pong balls.

nc208082

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is obviously just a guideline to use to determine if you have enough flow depending on the types of corals. Obviously as you mentioned an acro and a sea fan need much different flow. Use these turnover rates as general guidelines and fine tune to your animals liking.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back