Not sure if I LOVE my aquascape

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Recently I've been thinking about my aquascape. I set up the tank in late October and kind of just threw in the rock. Since then, I've changed it once but I'm still not sure if I like it. It's a standard 55 gallon, which I know is not the best for aquascaping but I still think I could improve it. Any ideas? I like the looks of more minimalist tanks and more open swimming space.
16837673912875012475023961544247.jpg

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I look at it, the formation on the right looks fine. The formation on the left looks like something is missing and I kinda like open space in the middle so maybe if you took that large middle rock and turned it 30-35 degrees to the left (to sort of encircle the rocks on the left and create some open space in the middle).

That pic makes your 55 look like it has more depth than I remember a 55 having.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Check this out, it may help you find a balance that is pleasing to your eye.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to start by saying it's not bad. Assuming there are no flow issues, it will look fine when covered in corals. . .

That said it is a little tall and symmetrical for me. Also, the tower on left looks to be a pillar, which may limit you from putting coral anywhere other than directly on top.

I do like the "mountain" on the right, maybe leave that and make an arch off of it while making the left pillar different. Or leave the mountain and make a short but wide arch on the left? . . . I like arches

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I look at it, the formation on the right looks fine. The formation on the left looks like something is missing and I kinda like open space in the middle so maybe if you took that large middle rock and turned it 30-35 degrees to the left (to sort of encircle the rocks on the left and create some open space in the middle).

That pic makes your 55 look like it has more depth than I remember a 55 having.
Thanks for the suggestion! I believe the tank is the standard dimensions so it must just be the picture.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out, it may help you find a balance that is pleasing to your eye.
Great read! Thank you!

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start by saying it's not bad. Assuming there are no flow issues, it will look fine when covered in corals. . .

That said it is a little tall and symmetrical for me. Also, the tower on left looks to be a pillar, which may limit you from putting coral anywhere other than directly on top.

I do like the "mountain" on the right, maybe leave that and make an arch off of it while making the left pillar different. Or leave the mountain and make a short but wide arch on the left? . . . I like arches
Thanks for the suggestion! Arches are a great idea! I'll look into them!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would break up the existing rock into smaller pieces and build from that. Larger chucks in tight spaces throws off the perspective and makes the tank look smaller than it is. You could keep your two base rocks and just start building branches and overhangs. It will give you the minimalistic look you are going for.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would break up the existing rock into smaller pieces and build from that. Larger chucks in tight spaces throws off the perspective and makes the tank look smaller than it is. You could keep your two base rocks and just start building branches and overhangs. It will give you the minimalistic look you are going for.
That's a great suggestion! Thank you!

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the golden ratio. You will see how your eye naturally tracks around a well planned photo or in this case an aquascape. The right side looks great but the flow around the scape is interrupted by the large rock on the left.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back