Not sure if my chaeto is dead, alive or in a coma

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea if my chaeto is happy or not. It’s difficult to get into the small refugium area of my intank refugium in the back of my Biocube. I reached down into the area with a sand rake to try and lift it and it fell apart, a little. Is it normally that delicate or did I break it? What should I expect when handling it? Should it always be treated carefully? How do I know it’s happy? When I pulled it out of the water it appeared green. How do I know if it’s doing its magical thing and cleaning my water? All the reading I've done about chaeto and I still feel like I know nothing. Ugh!

Additionally, I don’t see any of the copepods I put down there. Either they all left and went into the main tank or they’re hiding extremely well.

0D3CCA17-060F-4AFF-8F39-473F227D5EB6.jpeg D41CB4AE-08B4-4053-AF4D-E7C3230ECCEC.jpeg FE05BE4D-E67F-4B82-93FE-3C4171AAF489.jpeg

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need a little better picture than that. If it's green and not falling apart, it's good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics looks like the cheato is mush. If so, then it's a goner
Jeez, I just got it last week. It didn’t look like mush until I pulled it out of the water. Is there some trick? I have the refugium light going for 12 hours at night. Not sure what else I should be doing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not good.
Pods got out, so there has to be some flow.
Your chaeto could have starved.
I’ve had it for a week. But maybe you’re right. I change out about 20% of my water weekly.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried keeping chaeto once and I struggle with low nitrates so the same thing happened to me. Then I realized if my nitrates are low I have no reason to need to keep chaeto.

Also, I would work on getting your nitrates up from zero. Chaeto needs nitrates to survive, but even more importantly is that corals do too.

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My nitrates are 0. I don’t have a test for phosphates. Guess I need to get one.
I should have asked. Do you have bad algae problems to begin with? Or, is one starting?

I only add chaeto to help export nutrients, and my tang actually loves to eat the stuff.

Upvote 0

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not sound ideal, but remove your filter socks if you're running them, and let the cheato have a feast.
Do you have any visible algae growing in your tank at all? If you do, then the algae might be masking your NO3 readings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried keeping chaeto once and I struggle with low nitrates so the same thing happened to me. Then I realized if my nitrates are low I have no reason to need to keep chaeto.

Also, I would work on getting your nitrates up from zero. Chaeto needs nitrates to survive, but even more importantly is that corals do too.
When I first started, I was told nitrates are bad.....but now they're good? I'm getting dizzy. Lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have asked. Do you have bad algae problems to begin with? Or, is one starting?

I only add chaeto to help export nutrients, and my tang actually loves to eat the stuff.
I have bits of algae here and there on the sand. My cleanup crew does a great job on the rocks and glass. I haven't quite found the right critter to handle my sand yet. I do stir the sand from time-to-time on my own. About once during my weekly water change. Perhaps my little 32g doesn't need chaeto at all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not sound ideal, but remove your filter socks if you're running them, and let the cheato have a feast.
Do you have any visible algae growing in your tank at all? If you do, then the algae might be masking your NO3 readings.
I do have algae on the sand. It's not horrible, but not pleasing to the eye either. I have filter floss in back of the tank.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back