Not sure if this is a plant, can you help?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0898.jpg

This just sprang up in my tank. It glows at night under the blue LEDs and is fluorescent green during the day. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with green colonial hydroids. They have some nasty stings. May even sting you so be cautious.
Wow, thank you guys. Never even considered being stung. I'll get a pic. under white light but they don't change, nor do they with draw in light like a featherduster or tube worm. They always have this glowing about them

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, thank you guys. Never even considered being stung. I'll get a pic. under white light but they don't change, nor do they with draw in light like a featherduster or tube worm. They always have this glowing about them
I don't really know the species, it is a hydrozoan of some kind. You can monitor these and watch for rapid growth or if they slowly spread or don't grow at all. If you want to keep them that is.
If not, tweezer removal is best bet. or dwarf angelfish if you don't have tasty coral snacks they love.

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay all, I'm trying to do some better research on these hydroids and I'm seeing a lot of "pull them out", Are these bad for my corals, or a cool addition? Wish you didn't have to research 10 articles then decide.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay all, I'm trying to do some better research on these hydroids and I'm seeing a lot of "pull them out", Are these bad for my corals, or a cool addition? Wish you didn't have to research 10 articles then decide.
The non fluorescent hydriods seem to act like a plague,

There's a few people who keep the green colorful ones. You can see that here.

Edit: Also, I refuse to keep them.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pictures come out clearer so we can get a better identification of the critter. I rather like hydroids, myself, but they are tiny predators and will eat whatever pods they can catch.

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pictures come out clearer so we can get a better identification of the critter. I rather like hydroids, myself, but they are tiny predators and will eat whatever pods they can catch.
It is a pod rich environment so I should b concerned? I will get better pics. For everyone to see before the hemo squad is called . I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you n will put up the other pics asap

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got a lot of pod-dependent fish, it may be better to eradicate them (the hydroids, not the fish XD). My pods are mostly algae munchers and breed faster than the hydroids can eat them, so it's all about you tank's balance

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got a lot of pod-dependent fish, it may be better to eradicate them (the hydroids, not the fish XD). My pods are mostly algae munchers and breed faster than the hydroids can eat them, so it's all about you tank's balance
My tank is a Mandarin pair, and coral tank. We don't need extra mouths when I'm hoping to get a picture of a little reef w lots of baby dragonet's on it. A guy can dream lol. They are gone w putty.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back