Not sure if wennerae is eating

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I attempted to feed my new mantis yesterday and I'm not sure if he ate anything at all. If so very little.
I tried with wild caught frozen shrimp.

Attachments

• VID-20210120-WA0036.mp4
    23.8 MB

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I attempted to feed my new mantis yesterday and I'm not sure if he ate anything at all. If so very little.
I tried with wild caught frozen shrimp.
Try frozen mysid shrimp soaked in selcon near the borrow. If that does not work, frozen squid in some of the cube packs you can buy from your local lfs are even smaller. Worst comes to worse you can order live mysid shrimp online and have them shipped to you. About 10 years ago I did this to feed my cuttlefish but it was around $50 for 100.

Shrimp pellets have also worked for me and they come dry in a little plastic jar. You can pick them up at any petco that has a salt water department.

also they will stop eating a few days to a week before a molt and several days after. They can go for a couple weeks without eating and be just fine

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen mysid shrimp soaked in selcon near the borrow. If that does not work, frozen squid in some of the cube packs you can buy from your local lfs are even smaller. Worst comes to worse you can order live mysid shrimp online and have them shipped to you. About 10 years ago I did this to feed my cuttlefish but it was around $50 for 100.

Shrimp pellets have also worked for me and they come dry in a little plastic jar. You can pick them up at any petco that has a salt water department.

also they will stop eating a few days to a week before a molt and several days after. They can go for a couple weeks without eating and be just fine
Thanks for the advice! So maybe too big of a piece? I was under the impression they ate big.
I tried freeze dried brine but he didn't even touch it.
I was thinking he might be about to molt. He's redish colored now...I read they will go green for a brighter setup like mine. He did grab some branching coralline and seal his cave last night.

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! So maybe too big of a piece? I was under the impression they ate big.
I tried freeze dried brine but he didn't even touch it.
I was thinking he might be about to molt. He's redish colored now...I read they will go green for a brighter setup like mine. He did grab some branching coralline and seal his cave last night.
I’m guessing your wennerae is 2-3 inches? In that case it could also handle a frozen krill. I’ve generally noticed for the small species, mysid shrimp are the perfect size. Mine was red-brown in color before he molted and turned green. It is normal for them to close up shop at night with rock rubble and shells. If the little guy seals up the burrow for 2 days or more, chances are it’s molting.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back