Not sure on this Onyx Percula or Ocellaris

Hasher76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish to have was a Percula clown. After recently getting back in the hobby now there are so many different colors and options out there for the Ocellaris but I still like the Percula more. I saw this guy listed as an Onyx Percula and thought he looked amazing (other than his healing tail nip) so I bought him. Now whether or not he is what I think he is I still really like his personality but I want some opinions on what type of clown you all see.
I count 10 top fin spines but his Iris comes into question. I know neither of those are 100% ways to determine true or false percs but I'm rusty on my ability to ID him.

IMG_20190815_182838.jpg IMG_20190825_205154.jpg

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to help but not enough focus on these pictures to see detail. Beautiful fish! I will say this, in the shops these days, I have seen all kinds of aberrant features due to hybridizations between occelaris and percula. I have even seen the defining eye features of both fish on one fish! Imagine that! The best way to truly know a clownfishes bloodline is to buy it from a reputable breeder that knows the broodstock they came from. More expensive though.

OP
OP
Hasher76

Hasher76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the second pic was high detail to see his eyes and top fin. What discerning traits were you comparing that didn't show up?

OP
OP
Hasher76

Hasher76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks kinda like dr. joshi's fish, the black photons? i think they're a percula/ocellaris hybrid

im no clown expert tho
After researching that for a bit here it does look like that is a strong possibility of being a black photon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back