Not sure what happened to royal gramma. Eye injury of some sort.

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what happened. I noticed today that my Midas blenny was gone. I eventually found my Midas blenny had passed and was already pretty much all gone. I had kind of seen this coming as he kept getting skinnier and skinnier even though I was feeding him daily and everyone else was happy. I was guessing he had a parasite but wasn’t sure if I just needed to increase feeding. I then noticed that my royal gramma wasn’t coming out for food and hiding. That’s when I noticed he had something flapping on his eye. I’m guessing the Midas was hungry and tried attacking the gramma and the gramma won?

what should I do for the royal gramma would hate to lose them also?

4DA94C01-AAAD-465C-B866-9FDD5E72BEEB.jpeg
3023788F-CFD6-4E48-98B7-2980C19FF15F.jpeg
6DEB0A39-E819-4DB0-A6B3-5C31A1AA1CFE.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like popeye. It’s usually the result of an injury getting infected - treating it in a separate tank with maracyn 2 would help (though it can be very hard to catch a gramma).
The blenny doesn’t sound like that was a related death imo.

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like popeye. It’s usually the result of an injury getting infected - treating it in a separate tank with maracyn 2 would help (though it can be very hard to catch a gramma).
The blenny doesn’t sound like that was a related death imo.
Can Popeye be hanging off like that? It was completely fine 2 days ago. I wish I could get a better picture. It looks like if he has a contact lens and its flapping around but stuck at the corner of your eye. It’s barely attached. At first I thought it was some film algae I had scraped off attached to its head.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can Popeye be hanging off like that? It was completely fine 2 days ago. I wish I could get a better picture. It looks like if he has a contact lens and its flapping around but stuck at the corner of your eye. It’s barely attached. At first I thought it was some film algae I had scraped off attached to its head.
Likely scratch or injury and while popeye can appear on one eye, it’s generally Both
Treatment in quarantine will be ethromyacin which is Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1
Treat for 5 days and apply additional oxygen with air stone

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely scratch or injury and while popeye can appear on one eye, it’s generally Both
Treatment in quarantine will be ethromyacin which is Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1
Treat for 5 days and apply additional oxygen with air stone
It’s going to take me a couple days to get that medication. Will they survive a couple days like that?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s going to take me a couple days to get that medication. Will they survive a couple days like that?
It’s a gamble as eye May worsen

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Looks to me eye popped out of its socket already and might be too late to save the eye? Hope I’m wrong and the above recommended treatment or Kanaplex can solve the issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be skin tag from an injury. There is a species of fluke that lives on a fish's eyes, but they don't hang off like that and is almost every case, both eyes are affected.

As for your blenny, that is a big issue with that species, it is discussed here:

Jay

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be skin tag from an injury. There is a species of fluke that lives on a fish's eyes, but they don't hang off like that and is almost every case, both eyes are affected.

As for your blenny, that is a big issue with that species, it is discussed here:

Jay
Thanks for the resources!

yeah I wonder if my clown did something. It looks like the outer lens got popped off. The actual eye and pupil seem to be ok so hopefully it heals over?

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really does look like an injury to me. No way to really predict the outcome of this, but fish can survive with just one eye.
Jay
Well they came out and are swimming around normally. They also ate!
I feel bad it’s just hanging off and floating, hope it just falls off. The eye appears ok too all things considering

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the video attached. What about linking to You Tube?

Jay

Sorry about that. Here it is. It’s a little hard to see cause the blue lights but I didn’t want to switch to the day lights and scare him away.

yesterday I saw my sixline bothering him so I assume it was from the sixline attacking first time I’ve seen that behavior, hopefully it stops

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry about that. Here it is. It’s a little hard to see cause the blue lights but I didn’t want to switch to the day lights and scare him away.

yesterday I saw my sixline bothering him so I assume it was from the sixline attacking first time I’ve seen that behavior, hopefully it stops
The fish looks alert and healthy other than the eye. Six lines can be kind of obnoxious at times.
Jay

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks alert and healthy other than the eye. Six lines can be kind of obnoxious at times.
Jay
UPDATE: I come bearing good news! The gramma has made a great recovery!

I’ve been trying to research the anatomy of a royal gramma but I believe they have an adipose eyelid. That’s the only thing I can think of that would be hanging off like that. I’m guessing the six line got it good and almost ripped it off. The “iris” seems to be fully intact and I’m guessing a new covering is growing even though I can’t see it.

The price of flesh hanging off ended up shriveling up over the course of a week. I’m not sure if it fell off or there is a small price still attached but I think I can say they made a full recovery :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back