Not sure what my plate coral are doing. Help!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted yesterday. Hoping to find someone that is familiar with plate coral. Attached is pics of my orange and green plate coral. They are slowly turning white. Is it bleaching? A fungus? Need help and direction. A suggestion was ALK was low so started to raise that a bit. Other than that all the numbers are in line.

120g tank
PH 8.3
AM 0.1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Salinity 1.024
Phos 0.25
Calcium 440
ALk 5.9
Temp 82.4

thanks!
B87ABE5F-025C-4C34-A03C-85B176CD31DD.jpeg
F45F797F-DA25-4F50-A1FB-BF9C78BD6D08.jpeg
Dude this is second thread from you of the exact same issue in 2 days. Did you not like the answers everyone gave you because as I read now this thread the answers are all the same. And they are not Gunna change if you post a 3rd thread about the same thing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are fairly hardy coral. location plays a role although I have one high and one near the sand.
Moderate light and water flow seems favored.

I see some different alk readings posted but generally the following is recommended. NO NEED TO CHASE NUMBERS, adjust slowly if desired.

Temp 77-79
Ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .04
Phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
Mag 1300
alk 8-9
CA 440

I dont place directly on the sand AS if stirred by the fish will land on them and irritate them.
From the recession showed on yours, I would reduce the white light intensity a little, at least temporarily.

OP
OP
shadow62672

shadow62672

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the API Reef Master kit, the flow is low where they currently sit. Water change is roughly 12 percent every 2 weeks. The waterSalt ratio is purchased at the LFS they use red sea
So my KH went from 5.9 to 12. Way too fast! I know. At this point do I do a water change and try and bring it down to 7-9 or leave it alone? I am leaning to lowering it. But at this point no clue. It’s been exactly 24 hours since dosed yesterday.

OP
OP
shadow62672

shadow62672

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is second thread from you of the exact same issue in 2 days. Did you not like the answers everyone gave you because as I read now this thread the answers are all the same. And they are not Gunna change if you post a 3rd thread about the same thing
First off I am not your dude. Second there was one reply and they were not familiar with this type of coral. I am new to this forum and hobby. Go troll somewhere else.

OP
OP
shadow62672

shadow62672

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are fairly hardy coral. location plays a role although I have one high and one near the sand.
Moderate light and water flow seems favored.

I see some different alk readings posted but generally the following is recommended. NO NEED TO CHASE NUMBERS, adjust slowly if desired.

Temp 77-79
Ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .04
Phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
Mag 1300
alk 8-9
CA 440

I dont place directly on the sand AS if stirred by the fish will land on them and irritate them.
From the recession showed on yours, I would reduce the white light intensity a little, at least temporarily.
Thank you for the suggestions. Never had these before and am a little bummed they are melting. Seems I am chasing numbers. On a side note the kh jumped to 12. Shoukd I just leave it alone or do a water change to bring it lower. Afraid the jump is harsh on all in the tank. Your thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions. Never had these before and am a little bummed they are melting. Seems I am chasing numbers. On a side note the kh jumped to 12. Shoukd I just leave it alone or do a water change to bring it lower. Afraid the jump is harsh on all in the tank. Your thoughts?
Lower it a little

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change, kh was around 9 in the new water. After change dropped it to 10. About 20 gallons in my 120. Will hold and wait and see. Thank you to all that made suggestions and helped me. Great forum and website!
I would suggest to figure out what your new fresh mixed salt dkh is sounds like 9 or so and try to then keep tank alk about that number in the end. Will be best when you eventually get on a routine for water changes.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my KH went from 5.9 to 12. Way too fast! I know. At this point do I do a water change and try and bring it down to 7-9 or leave it alone? I am leaning to lowering it. But at this point no clue. It’s been exactly 24 hours since dosed yesterday.
I think you're swinging at shadows until you get some more reliable test kits... API seems to be failing you.

OP
OP
shadow62672

shadow62672

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to figure out what your new fresh mixed salt dkh is sounds like 9 or so and try to then keep tank alk about that number in the end. Will be best when you eventually get on a routine for water changes
I think you're swinging at shadows until you get some more reliable test kits... API seems to be failing you.
Agree. Will be looking into a better test kit going forward.

OP
OP
shadow62672

shadow62672

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to figure out what your new fresh mixed salt dkh is sounds like 9 or so and try to then keep tank alk about that number in the end. Will be best when you eventually get on a routine for water changes.
Agree. Everything went to hell when I had Velvet wipe out all the fish. Water cycle has decreased with the absence of fish as I go fallow for 90+ days. Seems it has thrown everything for a spin.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please lets keep the discussion on topic. :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Everything went to hell when I had Velvet wipe out all the fish. Water cycle has decreased with the absence of fish as I go fallow for 90+ days. Seems it has thrown everything for a spin.
Sorry about your fish.
Plate coral are very hardy. I feed mine when I feed the fish, no target feeding, just letting them scavenge food and fish waste.

if you are going fallow don’t add anything new ( except dried coral food) or else you could introduce pathogens from adding wet corals?

do you have any crabs or shrimp or anything that is eating on the plates?

gl

OP
OP
shadow62672

shadow62672

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your fish.
Plate coral are very hardy. I feed mine when I feed the fish, no target feeding, just letting them scavenge food and fish waste.

if you are going fallow don’t add anything new ( except dried coral food) or else you could introduce pathogens from adding wet corals?

do you have any crabs or shrimp or anything that is eating on the plates?

gl
I have a sea urchin, hermit crabs, skunk shrimp, peppermint shrimp, snails, starfish. never see anything messing with them, i havent noticed anything missing from the plates. Lost an emerald crab overnight, assume it was the DK swing. I used the AB plus today, and the plates seemed to react, swelling a bit and mouths semi open. Will try reef roids tomorrow or Saturday. DK is sitting at 10 today, 440 was the Calcium. PH 8.3 - 8.4 dropped white lights a bit, and temp a degree. All other corals look good. Time will tell.

OP
OP
shadow62672

shadow62672

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Both I think are dead. One is bleached white, the other has some flesh but is on its way. Thank you for the help. Surprised how fast they won’t. All other coral seem happy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 15

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. That really sucks. Sorry to hear that :( BUT... LEAVE THE SKELETONS IN THE TANK! They are known to drop out little baby plates when they die (not always, and mine sadly did not do it or I do not think it did). Plates are the only corals that actually have a lifespan and live about 10 years (not saying yours died from age, but they do eventually die and I've heard if they are going down a rough path they sometimes just say you know what I'm gonna die, and sometimes they just will go from healthy to crawling toward death. So don't feel too bad, they are known as easy corals for some reason, but I think it has to do with chance and if the conditions in the tank are right. Not saying yours are bad or anything though. But yeah mine did not make it either, but I had worse tank conditions (very high phosphate) and I overfed mine. and I should have just waited longer to buy mine. Sorry about the coral. I would just leave it there, and it might pop out a few babies. I'm not 100% sure what to look for though.

OP
OP
shadow62672

shadow62672

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. That really sucks. Sorry to hear that :( BUT... LEAVE THE SKELETONS IN THE TANK! They are known to drop out little baby plates when they die (not always, and mine sadly did not do it or I do not think it did). Plates are the only corals that actually have a lifespan and live about 10 years (not saying yours died from age, but they do eventually die and I've heard if they are going down a rough path they sometimes just say you know what I'm gonna die, and sometimes they just will go from healthy to crawling toward death. So don't feel too bad, they are known as easy corals for some reason, but I think it has to do with chance and if the conditions in the tank are right. Not saying yours are bad or anything though. But yeah mine did not make it either, but I had worse tank conditions (very high phosphate) and I overfed mine. and I should have just waited longer to buy mine. Sorry about the coral. I would just leave it there, and it might pop out a few babies. I'm not 100% sure what to look for though.
It sucks but such is life. Thank you, I will keep them in there and try and keep algae off them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back