Not sure what these deposits are from my mixing bin

kitpoon0315

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Every so often, I clean my saltwater mixing bin (I use a recycling bin with food safe plastics marker) and there's all these deposits that accumulate at the bottom of the bin.

20201123_204457.jpg

The consistency is like egg shells. They're pretty easy to break apart, but almost looks like rust? It's very thin. Not sure what's causing this. I have a heater and two small powerheads in there and that's it. The heater is not broken.

Any one have any idea what's causing that? I've been using this bin for water change for the last 5 years without any issues in my tank so I'm assuming it's not major but just curious.

Thanks in advance!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Every so often, I clean my saltwater mixing bin (I use a recycling bin with food safe plastics marker) and there's all these deposits that accumulate at the bottom of the bin.

20201123_204457.jpg

The consistency is like egg shells. They're pretty easy to break apart, but almost looks like rust? It's very thin. Not sure what's causing this. I have a heater and two small powerheads in there and that's it. The heater is not broken.

Any one have any idea what's causing that? I've been using this bin for water change for the last 5 years without any issues in my tank so I'm assuming it's not major but just curious.

Thanks in advance!
What kind of salt are you using? Instant ocean I’d assume

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup bang on, instant ocean!
Bingo that’s your answer. And I have never heard of any other salt doing that but I could be wrong. I used instant ocean for years and got so tired of cleaning my mixing container. 100 gallon container buried in corner of basement is hassle to clean. Since then I switch to tropic Marin pro and after 1 full year of mixing my container is as clean as the day I started. I will never go back to dirty instant ocean. This is my opinion only. I’m sure others feel it’s ok to mix that up and put that crud in there display without any issues.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it strange tho that everyone wants to say they only find it in there mixing container as if none of it gets into tank. I’m sure that’s what the skimmer takes out first few days after water change. But it has been said many times by many people that the crud does not affect anything

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it strange tho that everyone wants to say they only find it in there mixing container as if none of it gets into tank. I’m sure that’s what the skimmer takes out first few days after water change. But it has been said many times by many people that the crud does not affect anything
it would have to be hydrophobic to get removed from a skimmer

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back