Not sure what this is. Just popped up in 6 month old tank.

bouquet519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
510e93c9ecf9bdff3ae09a0810d5a98c.jpg

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a bristle worm.They are scavengers and will eat dead fish or clams .I personally don't like them in my tanks.The bristles on the side of body is sharp and stick you in the skin .

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's a big one... would definetly remove as the larger ones can be semi predacious (and not to mention, can pierce skin). The classic removal method is to use a pair of forceps and a flashlight at night and go hunting.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the above regarding smaller bristleworms.. once they get larger; like yours (which isn't that big compared to many), you may start to see issues

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they are fairly beneficial, until they get bigger. I had some in my 30 g years ago that were over 6" long. After I got stung by one while moving some rock, I got a bristle work trap and cleaned them out. Felt like my hand was on

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they are fairly beneficial, until they get bigger. I had some in my 30 g years ago that were over 6" long. After I got stung by one while moving some rock, I got a bristle work trap and cleaned them out. Felt like my hand was on fire.

SpclKay84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a bristle worm.They are scavengers and will eat dead fish or clams .I personally don't like them in my tanks.The bristles on the side of body is sharp and stick you in the skin .

I know I hate bristle worms too!!! #MyOpinon I just don't like the way the look, the creep my out how they go hiding when he lights come on, I got rid of the one baby one I found in my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back