Not sure what this is

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set this tank up around mid April, used some very established rock from a tank that was being shutdown after about 5 years. Probably used about 20lbs of that rock and the other 30ish was dry. Also used some water from a smaller tank I had setup that I was shutting down. Used some fritz 9 nitrifying bacteria as well. Have had this algae growing on glass, rocks, gyre and return nozzles. When it’s on plastic it’s easily wiped off, the rocks looks like hair algae and can’t be blown off or rubbed off easily. Under blue light looks red but it’s actually brownish. Last tests No3 was 5 and 0 Po4. Ph 8, kh7, cal 380, mg 1455. Any ideas on if this is just hair algae or something different? Appreciate any input. Also suggestions on how to remedy the situation, I have about 20 snails and 20 crabs currently, was going to add some turbo snails in the next couple days.

FE09B003-CE86-44EF-B347-26FFDC113035.jpeg 25838E11-AD79-431E-922E-0EB521971EF0.jpeg DC9C3F94-060F-49BD-9AFF-F81B8A013ADD.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is a normal part of a maturing tank. Remove what you can by hand during water changes, keep parameters in order. Reducing white light can help also. There's no need for extreme measures. They don't sell anything in a bottle to fast forward in time.

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is a normal part of a maturing tank. Remove what you can by hand during water changes, keep parameters in order. Reducing white light can help also. There's no need for extreme measures. They don't sell anything in a bottle to fast forward in time.
Yea I know it’s one of those necessary evils but just wanted to be sure it wasn’t something that was going to get out of hand. I’m just getting back into the hobby from about a 3-4 year break and have a hard time remember previous tanks starting and if I experienced as much algae, was worried that the live rock I used may have had something on it that I didn’t want in there. Thanks for the response.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some of it may be bryopsis starting to form, along with green hair algae GHA (an indication lighting may be too bright). Reduce white light intensity and assure your nitrates are not elevated. Additionally, as JGT indicated - Clean up crew (CUC)
Pull as much of the hairy stuff as you can by hand and add CUC such as Chitons, emerald crabs, caribbean Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Turbo grazers, conchs and Urchins.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back