Not sure what to do with this anenome

churmak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This anemone was sold to me as an LTA. It has been in my tank now for several months and seems to be doing well. It is sticky and it catches food particles when I feed my fish. It just doesn't want to sit still. It probably moves an inch or two a day. I originally placed it on the sand, but rather than dig in as I was expecting it started climbing up the rocks. It has currently climbed to the top of my aquarium. The problem I have is that I have had to move all of my corals out of its way. It took out a head of my frogspawn and a mushroom before I moved all the corals near it to the sand.I know anenomes move but I thought by getting an LTA that it would only be moving around the bottom of my rocks and sand bed and I could keep my corals away from that.

MVIMG_20191118_174457[1].jpg MVIMG_20191118_214617[1].jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This anemone was sold to me as an LTA. It has been in my tank now for several months and seems to be doing well. It is sticky and it catches food particles when I feed my fish. It just doesn't want to sit still. It probably moves an inch or two a day. I originally placed it on the sand, but rather than dig in as I was expecting it started climbing up the rocks. It has currently climbed to the top of my aquarium. The problem I have is that I have had to move all of my corals out of its way. It took out a head of my frogspawn and a mushroom before I moved all the corals near it to the sand.I know anenomes move but I thought by getting an LTA that it would only be moving around the bottom of my rocks and sand bed and I could keep my corals away from that.

MVIMG_20191118_174457[1].jpg MVIMG_20191118_214617[1].jpg

That looks like a Condy Anemone. What type of lighting do you have? Anemones will move around until they find a place they are comfortable and sit still. I had a Condy that moved around for a month and then found a spot and stayed there for over a year until I manually removed it.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a Condy Anemone. What type of lighting do you have? Anemones will move around until they find a place they are comfortable and sit still. I had a Condy that moved around for a month and then found a spot and stayed there for over a year until I manually removed it.
I agree it looks more like a Condylactis than an LTA....however, the poor LTAs you see in the LFSs typically don't look like LTAs, either :(

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see this before I posted. I sort of thought it looked like a Condy as well. If it's a LTA I suspect insufficient lighting.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a condylactis anemone.
M.doreensis have a red/pink foot and always bury in the sand. If it's on the rock, it is absolutely not an M.doreensis, (Long tentacle anemone/Corkscrew anemone).
Condy's rarely host clowns, they are a Caribbean anemone.

OP
OP
churmak

churmak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 90g and it has the 72 3w bridgelux led kit from aquastyle online. I was kind of thinking it was a condy instead of an lta because it climbed the rocks. I don't mind that I just would like to get it to stay put. Do I need to get better lighting? My corals all seem happy but I was looking at getting 2 of the 165w viparspectras.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 90g and it has the 72 3w bridgelux led kit from aquastyle online. I was kind of thinking it was a condy instead of an lta because it climbed the rocks. I don't mind that I just would like to get it to stay put. Do I need to get better lighting? My corals all seem happy but I was looking at getting 2 of the 165w viparspectras.
If the anemone is reaching for the lights and climbing the rocks to get there, it's probably a result of insufficient lighting. Otherwise, they tend to find areas of lower light intensity in well-lit tanks.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back