Not sure why I need to add more IO than expected

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the instructions on the bucket says 1.5 pounds per 5 gallons to mix to 1.022. The conversion calculator converts this to 29.2 PPT. Starting with this + 20% get you to 35 PPT, which is where I want to be.

1.5 # is about 680.4g then +20% = 816.5g Thus, 816.5g in 5 gal should = 35 PPT.

However, I add 850g in 5 gal to get to 35 PPT, thus my question, why do I need an additional 33.5g of IO to get to 35 PPT?

I realize temperature has an impact here so maybe that is the issue?

More info: typically the water just prior to mixing is about 73F and rises to about 75F by the next day when I test for salinity and normally get close to or right at 35 PPT.

Tank temp is set to 78F and varies a bit as expected.

Salinity is checked with a Hanna salinity checker which is recalibrated each month as recommended by Hanna.

RODI is used in the makeup and has 0 TDS.

Any ideas here? Or am I missing something, or miscalculated my numbers?

Thanks so much

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the instructions on the bucket says 1.5 pounds per 5 gallons to mix to 1.022. The conversion calculator converts this to 29.2 PPT. Starting with this + 20% get you to 35 PPT, which is where I want to be.

1.5 # is about 680.4g then +20% = 816.5g Thus, 816.5g in 5 gal should = 35 PPT.

However, I add 850g in 5 gal to get to 35 PPT, thus my question, why do I need an additional 33.5g of IO to get to 35 PPT?

I realize temperature has an impact here so maybe that is the issue?

More info: typically the water just prior to mixing is about 73F and rises to about 75F by the next day when I test for salinity and normally get close to or right at 35 PPT.

Tank temp is set to 78F and varies a bit as expected.

Salinity is checked with a Hanna salinity checker which is recalibrated each month as recommended by Hanna.

RODI is used in the makeup and has 0 TDS.

Any ideas here? Or am I missing something, or miscalculated my numbers?

Thanks so much
I find the instructions get you close, but figuring out the precise amount of salt to mix takes some trial and error. I have a popcorn cup, and I know 5 of those gets me to 1.025 salinity in 30 gallons. I don't have to measure or weigh anything additional, it is there everytime. It is possible the batch is different, or not homogenized as well.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An extra 33.5g is less than 4% more than your original calculations. That could easily be measurement error, on either the scale or the salinity side. Or, it could be moisture in the salt mix. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure... these measurements are done with a refractometer, dialed in with calibration liquid, right?

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An extra 33.5g is less than 4% more than your original calculations. That could easily be measurement error, on either the scale or the salinity side. Or, it could be moisture in the salt mix. I wouldn't worry about it.
Sounds good. I guess my OCD came out!

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity measurements are made with a Hanna salinity checker which is calibrated monthly per Hanna instructions.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back