Not to keen on my aquascape

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after seeing other people’s aquascapes I’ve decided mine could definitely be a lot better and have less dead spots.
What’s the best plan of action if I was to change the set up? Tank is only around 5 months old plus I stir my shallow sand bed every few days so I’m not worried about releasing to much crap.
All corals are removable apart from one torch coral which is stuck into one of the rocks.

334417A1-B5F4-4C90-B089-F3454DC22702.jpeg

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a sand bed that shallow, you really don't have to worry about stirring it up every few days... just my opinion.

I personally like your aqua scape. I've always been a fan of having two big island types rather than one large piece together. Mine is one large piece, but I wish it was split :(

I see you have a divider in the middle, i'm assuming to the right or left of that is where you get your dead spots? You can try putting the power heads one on each side, pointing at an angle at the front glass pane, so that the flow circles around all the way to those back corners... maybe bring your right a little more forward to allow some flow space behind it.. I'm guessing you have a wavemaker plugged in alternating flows?

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried placing the power head facing the front glass and it was pushing the sand away to much but was not getting any flow around the backs of each side.
The two smaller pumps work together and the bigger one at the front is on its own wave mode. Ive only just got the flow to where it's not throwing sand everywhere or smashing my hammer coral all day in one direction.
The rocks on the right side of the tank I would like to change as it seems to just look like a wall

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with flow and coral/rock placement for a long time, I swear i was ready to give up and throw my tank away LOL - that's how frustrating it can be...

Keep at it! You'll find your perfect sweet spot! It took me literally 7 months to find it at a great place, and finally leave it alone! You're not alone on this! Every reefer has this frustration lol..

Where is your return coming out of? If you have two outlets for the return, just point them at the back wall to get flow there. Even if the sand get's pushed a littl eback there, it'll eventually settle and not cause a sand storm, and if it goes bare back there, oh well. You can't see it anyway... just my two cents

Good luck!

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about it haha I was getting so frustrated the other day trying to get it back to where nothing was blowing around. I only have single return line but doesn't seem to do much when I point it down to the back

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe invest in a return that splits into two so you can point one in each corner.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so frustrated with my scape when I started my new 90 abt 6 mos ago. Got over excited and filled with water before the scape was done so I was up to my arm pits in water frequently changing it up.
If you are not happy with the wall (after corals start growing it won’t look nearly the same) you could add some depth by brining some of the rock forward then have it slope back with a swim thru/circulation hole if you have rocks enough. You could maintain the separate island effect without the flat wall look.

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your scape. It always looks better with coral.[emoji106]

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it too. I would just maybe move a rock or two from one pile to the next so they're not the same size. I love the two islands.
Wish I had that in my current tank. Had it before I moved the tank to my new house. Was too tired after breaking it all and down and moving to go through the aquascaping again. Love a blank canvas though!!

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can imagine moving tanks would be a pain. I think I'm set on changing it all up lol (potentially could make it worse)
I'l have a read up on that link that was posted and go from there maybe.
Would it be best to get the fish out of the tank whilst I do this? I don't have a spare tank but maybe just put them in a holding container for an hour or so?

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big advocate of the traditional design rules. Particularly those that integrate focal points & depth perception. Google aquascaping & you'll get a crash course. :)

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping: Rule of Thirds. ... To apply Rule of Thirds, imagine that a grid pattern consisting of two equidistant vertical lines and two equidistant horizontal lines is superimposed over the front of your tank.

Ideally, you want to hit three or four of the intersections.

Also just saw age of this post... opps.

download (2).jpeg

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried placing the power head facing the front glass and it was pushing the sand away to much but was not getting any flow around the backs of each side.
The two smaller pumps work together and the bigger one at the front is on its own wave mode. Ive only just got the flow to where it's not throwing sand everywhere or smashing my hammer coral all day in one direction.
The rocks on the right side of the tank I would like to change as it seems to just look like a wall
On places where the sand gets blown out and shows a bare bottom throw some tiny chunks of rubble rock! The sand will blend in and over time you won't notice it as much!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back