Not your typical frag tank!

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, how’s it going?
I recently started up a new tank. And new ideas!

the new tank is 65 gallons
Around 80gal total with sump in total. I’m interested in having more water volume for more stable parameters.

running a bunch of ceramic bio balls from established tank. Tank is already cycled. Just sitting till I make up my mind lol
Equipment:
- 2AI prime 16hd’s
- rs-100 sump
- reef life design custom ATO reservoir
- eshopps s-120 protein skimmer
- Red Sea 4 head dosing pump
- titanium heater with controller
-reef breeder wave makers and a few other things!!!

I have a few questions as I haven’t don’t a frag tank yet…

tank height is 24”…. How tall should my frag racks be. Just thinking of frag rack height, depth of tank and then of course distance from lights.

I’d like to make a 12” x 12” acrylic frag rack for sps on the right side of tank and a couple 6” x 12” racks at different heights for different LPS corals. Obviously the rack designated for sps will be the tallest rack but hey..I guess I could just use a par meter but why not start up a new post with an awesome community that’ll watch and support the build.

I’m open to all opinions and ideas. Let’s get this train going!!!!!!!!

B884CB9C-8B3F-48AD-A02C-302638635A3B.jpeg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I set up a 75 gallon for a coral QT. I used 1/2” egg crate (fluorescent light covers) and zip ties. Super easy and cheap. Made 1/2 stair step so I could get different light intensity and a low section on the other 1/2.

I also have various height boxes made from the same material so I can set random height on the other 1/2 depending on what I’m working with.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Around 80gal total with sump in total. I’m interested in having more water volume for more stable parameters.

running a bunch of ceramic bio balls from established tank. Tank is already cycled. Just sitting till I make up my mind lol
Equipment:
- 2AI prime 16hd’s
- rs-100 sump

tank height is 24”…. How tall should my frag racks be. Just thinking of frag rack height, depth of tank and then of course distance from lights.

I’d like to make a 12” x 12” acrylic frag rack for sps on the right side of tank and a couple 6” x 12” racks at different heights for different LPS corals. Obviously the rack designated for sps will be the tallest rack but hey..I guess I could just use a par meter but why not start up a new post with an awesome community that’ll watch and support the build.

update?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 75 gallon for a coral QT. I used 1/2” egg crate (fluorescent light covers) and zip ties. Super easy and cheap. Made 1/2 stair step so I could get different light intensity and a low section on the other 1/2.

I also have various height boxes made from the same material so I can set random height on the other 1/2 depending on what I’m working with.
can u share some pix pls? looking to do something similar w my 60G cube...
thx

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Equipment:
- 2AI prime 16hd’s
- rs-100 sump

Curious to know what the tank looks like now!!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
can u share some pix pls? looking to do something similar w my 60G cube...
thx
Not the best picture as it is too cold to order a CUC and probably too blue, but should give you an idea.

Attachments

• 7B70EF3B-C1DA-436B-B5DD-F2D6281F7C70.jpeg
    7B70EF3B-C1DA-436B-B5DD-F2D6281F7C70.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
gulf coast reefer

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been MIA in regards to posting. But I haven’t been missing out on the frag tank.
had 6 different types of zoas growing quick so I fragged them out.
added a few fish as well. Couple damsels and a tomini tang that’s added so much life to the tank. Will add a bunch of photos tomorrow

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a similar concept like the frag house look looking good so far keep up the posting....I have a different style frag tank as well check it out in my thread if you want....awesome job....

OP
OP
gulf coast reefer

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the rack I went with. It’s a Luna frag rack. Besides it being a pain taking off the protective film it fits absolutely perfect on the right side of the tank

Attachments

• 1E61FB44-C29F-4C5A-B08C-8AF32EC5A384.jpeg
    1E61FB44-C29F-4C5A-B08C-8AF32EC5A384.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
gulf coast reefer

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a handful of Zoas.
my clementines!
Rainbow yodas
Blue AOI’s
Drama queens
Blondies and a couple more I’m sure I’m missing. All corals have been happy and healthy. Especially the blue tip hammer I added in. UNTIL TODAY. I feel like an idiot lol. Every once in a while I’d dust the zoas with a turkey baster to clean them off. Used to do this all the time with my first tank I ever had and they were always happy. This time I decided to try it on the hammer. THIS WAS AN INSTANT REGRET. when I pushed some water towards the hammer I blew a bunch of its tips off. And when I say a bunch id estimate anywhere between 5 and 10 little pieces came off. Not a very accurate guess but that’s my assumption. Now the hammer is ticked off. Has anybody ever done this and obviously not done it again? It’s all deflated now and not looking too great. Any advice on what I should do with it other than leave it alone and see what it does? Hope everything is doing well. Looking forward to some feedback! I’ll attach a pic of how angry the hammer looks now below. And what it looked like before.

Attachments

• E64590F0-4DDD-4016-90FE-F1CF35A2E6AC.jpeg
    E64590F0-4DDD-4016-90FE-F1CF35A2E6AC.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 39
  • 5BD773E1-843A-4746-9B02-580E20CF3816.jpeg
    5BD773E1-843A-4746-9B02-580E20CF3816.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 30

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a handful of Zoas.
my clementines!
Rainbow yodas
Blue AOI’s
Drama queens
Blondies and a couple more I’m sure I’m missing. All corals have been happy and healthy. Especially the blue tip hammer I added in. UNTIL TODAY. I feel like an idiot lol. Every once in a while I’d dust the zoas with a turkey baster to clean them off. Used to do this all the time with my first tank I ever had and they were always happy. This time I decided to try it on the hammer. THIS WAS AN INSTANT REGRET. when I pushed some water towards the hammer I blew a bunch of its tips off. And when I say a bunch id estimate anywhere between 5 and 10 little pieces came off. Not a very accurate guess but that’s my assumption. Now the hammer is ticked off. Has anybody ever done this and obviously not done it again? It’s all deflated now and not looking too great. Any advice on what I should do with it other than leave it alone and see what it does? Hope everything is doing well. Looking forward to some feedback! I’ll attach a pic of how angry the hammer looks now below. And what it looked like before.
A healthy hammers tips dont just blow off...makes me feel as if it started to melt....how long has your tank been set up and what are your parameters please feel free to message me so we dont hijack the thread but unstable parameters and possibly newer tank set up can cause this to happen...looks like it was in the tank before but almost appears as if the now pic has bjd....which tips can melt so to speak with bjd....

OP
OP
gulf coast reefer

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy hammers tips dont just blow off...makes me feel as if it started to melt....how long has your tank been set up and what are your parameters please feel free to message me so we dont hijack the thread but unstable parameters and possibly newer tank set up can cause this to happen...looks like it was in the tank before but almost appears as if the now pic has bjd....which tips can melt so to speak with bjd....
I feel ya. PM’d

OP
OP
gulf coast reefer

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slight update. Hammer looking happier than it was right after I created some unnecessary tissue damage. Lesson learned

Attachments

• E3A03D69-0BAA-435D-BB6C-B75465B73371.jpeg
    E3A03D69-0BAA-435D-BB6C-B75465B73371.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
gulf coast reefer

gulf coast reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across something on brs. Has anyone had any experience with ditching filter socks and moved towards using filter media cups and filling with filter floss etc

Attachments

• A9CEBBF0-16F5-478D-A4CA-160861BEC1DE.jpeg
    A9CEBBF0-16F5-478D-A4CA-160861BEC1DE.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 30
Back