Noticed a lovely crack on my tank.

squatchaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 125, and this morning I noticed this ding on the corner. Close to the bottom. The silicone looks fine but I can’t tell how deep the itself crack is.

We did have an earthquake yesterday, so I’m wondering...

What do you think, reefers? Should I deconstruct this tank before our living room becomes a pond?
F87D9B06-B6E7-4A4C-90BC-4663C543EC89.jpeg
D9CE6EA5-FA3C-46ED-8CCD-35F581777C5F.jpeg

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I would trust it too long. I hate any cracks in tanks. Maybe those with more experience will help. My 210g, never had a crack and the 6g I have has a chip, but it is outside on the edge and top, not the sides.
If you can, get another tank ready to transfer and do it before it becomes a pond on the floor.

Reefin’ Rumors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to work with glass back in the day and it looks like something/someone whacked the edge with an object...in the glass business that is called a “clam”...which happens when the edge of the glass was hit or bumped with something. It was hit pretty good too...

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This silicone will hold for a bit but I would get another tank and start transferring livestock. It got hit once and if it happens again it could be a catastrophic splash. Play it safe. Find out what happened so it can be avoided in the future.

OP
OP
squatchaquarist

squatchaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to work with glass back in the day and it looks like something/someone whacked the edge with an object...in the glass business that is called a “clam”...which happens when the edge of the glass was hit or bumped with something. It was hit pretty good too...
That’s what I’m thinking it looks like, but no one has been moving furniture or swinging Thor’s hammer around in this area lately. I suppose the “how” doesn’t really matter now, though.

Reefin’ Rumors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m thinking it looks like, but no one has been moving furniture or swinging Thor’s hammer around in this area lately. I suppose the “how” doesn’t really matter now, though.
It doesn’t take much force to happen...the edge is vulnerable when hit just right...close to bottom it could be a belt buckle, wand of a vacuum, wrist watch...but yeah doesn’t matter “now” it’s been done...lol

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, that stinks! I’d get another as soon as possible if it were me. In the meantime I’d be inclined to keep the flow as low as possible and avoid wave action to help reduce the force that the water is exerting on the glass.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If its a fresh water tank i would not worry about it. lol

you can use gorilla crystal clear repair tape. it is super strong!

I lined my acrylic sump around all the seams for extra protection.. even though it did not need it, just paranoid about acrylic sumps leaking.

OP
OP
squatchaquarist

squatchaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a fresh water tank i would not worry about it. lol

you can use gorilla crystal clear repair tape. it is super strong!

I lined my acrylic sump around all the seams for extra protection.. even though it did not need it, just paranoid about acrylic sumps leaking.
It is a freshwater tank, but why would that matter?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125g on the floor would create thousands of dollars in damage and your likely not insured for this. Mold most likely will set in, then floors, wall if any below would have to be gutted.

Sorry, seen this before, not worth a $300 tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a guaranteed safe way to move all your stuff skip cycle anywhere you want it moved, let us know when the time comes for the swap then consider this:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend draining the tank so much that even if you have to skip cycle into tubs from farm supply, then skip cycle move into a new tank twice over later on when new tank and stand is bought, thats better than one more days delay above. The actual move technique is not harmful, so it doesn’t matter how often you employ it. Someone else already used it four times to get the living specimens to us

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry agree ,chip is into silicone as i see, times ticking...:( best wishes

OP
OP
squatchaquarist

squatchaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, got a 75g at the Petco sale and have it sitting on cement blocks. Not the prettiest ever, but it's in a bedroom so for now, it will do. Sorry fish, I hope you enjoyed your mansion while it lasted (the 125 was an upgrade from the other 75g that is now my marine tank...).

On the plus side, I've always wanted dueling twin tanks. It will be cool to have a FW and SW side by side.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back