NSA - Couple of questions

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to BRS's NSA video, the link is to the end of the video where it shows the result. I'm about to start aquascaping my first reef tank (Red Sea Reefer 525 XL) and, while I like this look, I had some questions:
- How much risk is there in those extended "branches" falling off over time?
- How difficult is that for a beginner? I.E., am I putting too much risk into a first time effort?
- Are there other drawbacks to aquascaping in this fashion of which I'm unaware?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I personally recommend a scape consisting of dry and live rock in which pieces fit together easily

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that I'm currently working on. Use acrylic rods to help hold rocks. Combination of putty, glue and marco cement.
IMG_20200918_105307.jpg

This will be going into a Cadlights 100 48"x24"x20". I have about 100 lbs of well established lived rock teeming with life and corals in another tank that this one will connect to, so I should be ok on the cycle.

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just created 2 mini nsa pieces for my tank up grade it's rock solid. If I could do it again I would spend the 40 bucks and get the marco e400 I used epoxy and super glue, each structure weighed atleast 10-15 pounds after a day of drying I could pick each up from the top and swing it around with out it breaking.

The white rock in the picks are the nsa I made the rest was just live rock from my old build

IMG_20200918_133921_20.jpg IMG_20200918_133925_02.jpg IMG_20200918_165513_81.jpg IMG_20200918_165546_41.jpg

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what happened, maybe I screwed it up posting from my phone. These were the rods. I couldn't edit the original post that had the link no couldn't fix it.
Those should work. You can always use driveway markers that you can buy at a big box or hardware store. They are fiberglass and work just as well.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just created 2 mini nsa pieces for my tank up grade it's rock solid. If I could do it again I would spend the 40 bucks and get the marco e400 I used epoxy and super glue, each structure weighed atleast 10-15 pounds after a day of drying I could pick each up from the top and swing it around with out it breaking.

The white rock in the picks are the nsa I made the rest was just live rock from my old build
I did get the Marco 400, so hopefully I'm good there. I also bought several tubes of superglue from BRS. Your pieces look really good.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to BRS's NSA video, the link is to the end of the video where it shows the result. I'm about to start aquascaping my first reef tank (Red Sea Reefer 525 XL) and, while I like this look, I had some questions:
- How much risk is there in those extended "branches" falling off over time?
- How difficult is that for a beginner? I.E., am I putting too much risk into a first time effort?
- Are there other drawbacks to aquascaping in this fashion of which I'm unaware?

Thanks!
In terms of danger, I dont think you have much to worry about. As long as you are smart and dont create unnessasary pressure points in the rock (just the obvious jonts) you will be fine. They used Marco's rock cement in that video I believe and that will not come apart. Its going to be stronger than the rock itself so if something is going to break it will be due to a seperate issue.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched that video and a couple others on BRS. Ryan suggested in one to use driveway markers they are fiberglass and can be cut to length just don’t use the piece with reflector tap. Glue and reef mortar should hold all with or without rods but only do small batches at a time so it cures properly. If you do to much to quick you can weaken the bond before fully cured. Oh and would recommend using masons bits to drill for your rods keep the stone wet for better cutting dry will burn up the bit.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched that video and a couple others on BRS. Ryan suggested in one to use driveway markers they are fiberglass and can be cut to length just don’t use the piece with reflector tap. Glue and reef mortar should hold all with or without rods but only do small batches at a time so it cures properly. If you do to much to quick you can weaken the bond before fully cured. Oh and would recommend using masons bits to drill for your rods keep the stone wet for better cutting dry will burn up the bit.
Thanks for the info. I have masonry bits and plan to use these rods where I think there may be more stress. I also plan to take my time, but this is my first attempt at an aquascape so need all the pointers I can get.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t started my build yet but doing my homework. Looks like a good deal on rods because I know through work that the price of acrylic and plexiglass is going up due to COVID. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

Back