NSA for 36 gallon

Chief2112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 gallon bow front tank that I really want to do an NSA for but I was wondering how much bio filtration will be affected by less lbs of rock?
Is this something I should be thinking about. Should I add extra sand to help make up the difference?

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered that myself. If you're using a sump you could possibly add there

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 36 gallon bow front tank that I really want to do an NSA for but I was wondering how much bio filtration will be affected by less lbs of rock?
Is this something I should be thinking about. Should I add extra sand to help make up the difference?
Sand always helps, it just has so much surface area. I believe Dr. tim recommends always starting with sand and slowly vacuuming it out after your tank has been established if you want a bare bottom. I wouldn't worry about the lbs of rock as surface are is more important. I switched to a NSA in my reefer 170 (34 gal display) and have been really happy with it. I think needing X amount of lbs per gallon is outdated advice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back