NSA with old school rocks (not Marco rocks)

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a lot of videos of NSA scapes with Marco rocks using glue and sand. But has anyone done this with their existing old school rocks that are heavier and more dense? I have Caribsea Reef Rock and some other random rocks from LFS. Can I still break down apart and glue back? Or will they be too heavy and I have to start fresh with Marco rocks?

Also, if I take my live rocks out of water and spend hours making the scape, will the bacteria on rock die and I have to cycle all over again?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a lot of videos of NSA scapes with Marco rocks using glue and sand. But has anyone done this with their existing old school rocks that are heavier and more dense? I have Caribsea Reef Rock and some other random rocks from LFS. Can I still break down apart and glue back? Or will they be too heavy and I have to start fresh with Marco rocks?

Also, if I take my live rocks out of water and spend hours making the scape, will the bacteria on rock die and I have to cycle all over again?
Instead of using the glue method on the heavier and wet rock, why not use stainless steel dowel and reef epoxy?

I've done this successfully. Used an 8" masonry bit in a 1/4" hammer drill. Hold things in place, drill through both and insert the metal pin. An epoxy ball where they meet and smush into the joint.

Upvote 0

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of using the glue method on the heavier and wet rock, why not use stainless steel dowel and reef epoxy?

I've done this successfully. Used an 8" masonry bit in a 1/4" hammer drill. Hold things in place, drill through both and insert the metal pin. An epoxy ball where they meet and smush into the joint.
I

I've heard that any metal will cause problems, as I thought about using stainless as well. Hope someone explains why.

Upvote 0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco type rock is normally used because it is so light, and can be broken apart pretty much anywhere and still look natural. It is much more difficult with the heavier, denser rock (I tried with Caribsea.....did not turn out good at all)

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back