NSW or mixing own salt water

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my local fish store has NSW that has been filtered for $0.20c/L Aud. That would be roughly $0.58c USd/ gal.

Or would purchasing your own salt and mixing with RO water be better? For the sake of it costing $4aud for each waterchange for NSW would this be the beat option? How many LITRES or Gallons does a bucket of reef salt get you. Obviously depends of size of salt bucket.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bucket usually gets you 160 gallons but those numbers aren't all that accurate. Are you near the coast? I wouldn't buy their seawater if you can just collect your own... But eventually you'll probably just buy buckets of salt like most of us for convenience sake

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a liter and test it to see what the parameters of the NSW are. If it’s natural oceanic reef water then Id rather haul that home in buckets than a bucket of salt myself.

By analogy:
Which would you prefer for breakfast Fresh eggs or powdered? Homogenized milk or powdered? Freshly washed or powdered?

Watermelon Sugar GIF by Harry Styles

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my local fish store has NSW that has been filtered for $0.20c/L Aud. That would be roughly $0.58c USd/ gal.

Or would purchasing your own salt and mixing with RO water be better? For the sake of it costing $4aud for each waterchange for NSW would this be the beat option? How many LITRES or Gallons does a bucket of reef salt get you. Obviously depends of size of salt bucket.
I've considered it in past, but decided against it re: the pre mixed. Price is about same as you listed here (Canada) , and it's still more affordable to mix myself with RO from 18 litre, jugs at 3 bucks Cdn a pop. Plus I know what I am getting with my preferred mix (Tropic Marin), and also I adjust my salinity on the slightly higher side....

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a liter and test it to see what the parameters of the NSW are. If it’s natural oceanic reef water then Id rather haul that home in buckets than a bucket of salt myself.

By analogy:
Which would you prefer for breakfast Fresh eggs or powdered? Homogenized milk or powdered? Freshly washed or powdered?

Its NSW straight from the ocean on High tides, they filter it to get rid of anything large creating clear ocean water. The LFS is only a 2 min drive from mine. The ocean about 8mins. And for the time it takes to setup collect buckets of water and then time siphoning/filtering the water to save $0.20c/L

I will obviously have a bucket of salt on hand if i urgent need it when my storage barrel of NSW Runs out. But i would assume my 220L storage 58gal would last me a few weeks for Water changes ect..

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By analogy:

Haha love the analogy and the way you out it so fluently

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back