NSW precipitation in brute reservoir? (Reef Crystals)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed from time to time that my saltwater mixing container has little brown particles all over the top of the water. This basically comes out of nowhere. So I’m assuming this is precipitation.? Does anybody else get this and what causes it? How can I prevent it?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, both IO mixes have that in them. I've tried muriatic acid and not a dent on the brown stuff. I don't know if it's a big deal, but with the amount of salt I go through, I can't bring myself to make the ups guy lug salt boxes up my driveway.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, family popped in on me. They just left. Here’s a few pics I was about to take before they showed up:

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your scum shot and raise you 4 years.

IMG_20190915_212705.jpg

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might this have something to do with the container? When I was in the hobby in the late 90’s through mid 2000’s, I used a Rubbermaid garbage can for mixing/storing saltwater and had the same thing using IO/RC. I now use a 40 gal translucent vertical tank that is FDA and ANSI/NSF 61 approved, and though I’ve been running IO for over 2 years and have never cleaned the container, I have no residue. The only other thing I do different is that I always let the salt mix for 2-3 days before using. In the past, I would often use after mixing for only a couple of hours, probably even sooner on some occasions. I’ve always had several gallons left sitting in the container both now and then, though in the past, I would empty and rinse out my Rubbermaid container every several months. Like I said, with my current container, I’ve never emptied/rinsed.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all salt mixes leave these deposits....Reef Crystals being the worst. I actually switched to a different salt mix partly because of that. I used to have to clean my Brute almost monthly due to everything being coated in that brown "dust".

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mine does the same. I have been using reef Crystal's for almost two years and I was actually adding Tropic Marin Pro last night to my shopping cart just because of this reason. I just returned from vacation on Friday. I had my Dehumidifier running non stop while I was away for a week. The new salt in the sealed bags were hard as stone and the whole clear liner is brown. I had to beat it with a rubber mallet to break it up.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the switch to Tropic Marin Pro largely for this reason. Knowing what is in the salts, and reduced precipitation.

I have been growing coral for quite some time with instant ocean, and I know it CAN do the job, but that doesnt mean that something else can't do it better and with less gross stuff in the bucket :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all salt mixes leave these deposits....Reef Crystals being the worst. I actually switched to a different salt mix partly because of that. I used to have to clean my Brute almost monthly due to everything being coated in that brown "dust".

I used normal IO for 20 years, and never saw a reason the clean the Brute cans. Lots of white precipitated calcium carbonate, but I saw no reason to care about it. :)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used normal IO for 20 years, and never saw a reason the clean the Brute cans. Lots of white precipitated calcium carbonate, but I saw no reason to care about it. :)
I have never used regular IO but RC has always been bad. I now use Red Sea Blue which also leaves that brown gunk but not nearly as bad. I think I actually saw a picture you posted in Reefkeeping magazine of your Brute with the calcium carbonate caked on the bottom. It is that same brown color so maybe that is what it is in my case. It ends up coating the pumps, heater, and everything though.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never clean mine, no problems so far. I liken it to a salty Chief's coffee mug, those brown layers warrant respect, and add flavor. Never wash them, unless of course you are a freshly arrived boot, then lay to the Chief's Mess and wash all of the coffee mugs.
tumblr_nt873zCEjE1r9eq2so1_500.jpg

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never clean mine, no problems so far. I liken it to a salty Chief's coffee mug, those brown layers warrant respect, and add flavor. Never wash them, unless of course you are a freshly arrived boot, then lay to the Chief's Mess and wash all of the coffee mugs.
tumblr_nt873zCEjE1r9eq2so1_500.jpg

Thats a Navy thing, mugs are always clean and fresh in the Air Force. And, our planes are faster than yours. :)

U

User1

View Badges
What mix? Reef crystals often gets some brown bits of uncertain composition.

I'm not the OP but agree with what you said and what I experience using IO reef crystals in my 44 gallon brute. Cleans up pretty easy with those two sided blue sponges - at least what I use. I clean them out every other month.

In my case I mix up the brute and let it sit while I use it over the course of a month. Seems to hold up well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back