NSW Reservoir from 55 Gallon Aquarium

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my first reef tank (88 gallon XL 425) and due to space limitations I will need to put some support equipment like my ATO reservoir and dosing pumps in a cabinet in my bedroom which is on the opposite side of the wall from my reef and then pass the RO tubing through the wall.

A friend is selling a 55 gallon tank with stand and I'm thinking about purchasing it for my support stuff. I'd put a 10 gallon ATO in the stand and use the 55 gallon tank on the stand for NSW storage.

Despite the oddities of having a big empty aquarium in my bedroom are there other issues I should consider for using a standard 55 gallon tank for my NSW storage?

I think I can manage the evaporation and potential algae growth with a cover and maybe painting the outside of the tank glass.

Would I be able to successfully mix up NSW in something this long and narrow?

Thanks!

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use a 20 gallon aquarium as my new salt water reservoir in my laundry room. Works great! I cut a piece of Lexan for the top. You’ll want to get two power heads for mixing- one on each end.

I filled the tank one gallon at a time until the level rose above the bottom trim, then measured and marked one more gallon. Using that measurement, I marked each gallon on a piece of masking tape up the side of it.

6A203887-A104-429B-A146-A396775DA2A5.jpeg

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use a 20 gallon aquarium as my new salt water reservoir in my laundry room. Works great! I cut a piece of Lexan for the top. You’ll want to get two power heads for mixing- one on each end.

I filled the tank one gallon at a time until the level rose above the bottom trim, then measured and marked one more gallon. Using that measurement, I marked each gallon on a piece of masking tape up the side of it.

6A203887-A104-429B-A146-A396775DA2A5.jpeg
What type of container are you using for your RODI water? Is that a 15 gallon drum looks like something similar that I just got from work.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of container are you using for your RODI water? Is that a 15 gallon drum looks like something similar that I just got from work.
Yes, that’s exactly what it is. With a uniseal and Cepex valve from BRS, it’s a great way to refill the tank when it’s time to mix new salt water.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back