Status
Not open for further replies.

chasethis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently joined this site, along with several others over the past couple months. I am a newbie to the reefing hobby and I have to say that I have been bitten HARD!

I have made purchases from LFS's and used the internet. Some have been pretty awesome and others have been bad. I like odd and bright, so far Im working with several types of Corallimorphs, as well as Zoas and other soft lower light beginner corals.

Recently I found that I may have a very valuable mushroom in my collection. Seems that this rock that I purchased that is covered with these lovely green bodied red rust or orange spotted (its all how you see color) are called Nuclear Sunsets. I would like to know more about this particular color form. If there are others out there, I would love to share info and photos. Maybe even trade a few for some diversity.

I look forward to hearing from others that have these and seeing what you have.

Peace

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 317

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not much to say besides elite reefs had them mike "sexy corals" bought them up for a hefty price and now reefers are pricing there's accordingly.... i think that sums it up....there worth what ever the people are willing to pay.... any true collector is gonna want linage if they pay big bucks...;) if that linage don't go to sexy or elite you got a mushroom..... here comes the backlash!!!!!!!!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linage always seems to be the link to higher price tags around the reef world. Honestly i think your shroom looks great and if you got a good price then great score! I am sure you will find others that would be willing to trade/buy a piece.

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not much to say besides elite reefs had them mike "sexy corals" bought them up for a hefty price and now reefers are pricing there's accordingly.... i think that sums it up....there worth what ever the people are willing to pay.... any true collector is gonna want linage if they pay big bucks...;) if that linage don't go to sexy or elite you got a mushroom..... here comes the backlash!!!!!!!!

Biting my lip...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it hurt yet??? Ahahahahah just playing.. I know many people disagree with this but it is what it is...:( fwiw it doesn't look like mikes or the elite version...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is elites picture... Mike used the same pix I never saw any updated shots of it...
Looks similar but this green not turquoise like above... Also you don't see any veins running through the elite version like yours...Who knows maybe it's a special photo...

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw yours looks huge!!! How big is that thing like 6"??? That's a cool piece no doubt... Have you had them long do they spread like other shrooms???

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol i have to care about lineage now to be a "true collector"? Thats a bit hard to swallow. Maybe i agree if you change that to "true investor", definetely not a requirement for a collector in my opinion but i admit i have misplaced my coral fanatic rulebook.

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lineage...it come from the ocean somewhere around a tropical area. Corals are not even supposed to worth so much in my opinion. But I guess hard to find corals are woeth more. I say if a diver died while obtaining a piece or several pieces of coral then it would be priceless because it took someone's life to obtain it. Other than that just take what you can at what ever price you see fit.

Here's something to think about....If we take stuff from places for free can we take it from someone else's collection for free? Don't answer that I am JK

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not honestly man you don't have track the linage to be a collector but anyone willing to pay 250$ for that shroom is gonna want mikes or elites name tagged to it...
I mean here is a classic example I have a rather large colony of a purple watermelon that's identical to jason foxs grand daddy purple... I wish I could say it was but I can't because I don't have the linage... I bet he can't even tell the difference... My colony is worth let's say 150$ if I had bought it from wwc or jfox it would be worth 5k from what I see the frags go for.... Just saying man.... His mushroom is very cool and it's unique in all different ways but how you gonna cash in on a name with no proof or linage????

OP
OP
chasethis1

chasethis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that they are pretty average as far as size goes. Most of them are about the size of a fifty cent piece, maybe a little larger. They range right now from about the size of a dime to fifty cent piece.
The only big difference that I can see is that his are spotted with a little more spoke like pattern. As far as the color goes I believe them to be closer to green than turquoise as you mentioned. I tried to take a couple pics with different lighting. Thus the reason for the post, I am hoping to find those that have these and see if they have more images to compare these to. There are not two alike among those that are on the rock where the colony resides. I just took the pics today to try to get them up as fast as possible, these are of two different shrooms that felt that they wanted to move. Over all I am happy to have even if they turn out not to be so special. They arent very fast growers, pretty much the same amount on the rock as when I purchased it a couple months ago.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your 3rd pic I think it is looks like a monster!!! There cool man and people like yourself will enjoy them or any mushy head lol... If your looking to trade these to get a more diverse reef I think you will do well but to sell them for 250$ a pop like the others went for you might have problems... Not trying to scare you in any way and I'm sure stray is typing up a 3 page post as we speak lol... Just saying man for us as hobbyist at least myself I say okay I got this piece for 40$ now I'm fragging it or selling the offspring I can't say well since it looks identical to tyrees super duper purple mushy I can charge 200$.... If we all didn't follow some sort of conduct this hobby would be way more out of control than it already is....
I mean linage is more of a trust thing also since there is no paper trail to follow all one can do is take someones word of mouth...:( sad but true...

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not honestly man you don't have track the linage to be a collector but anyone willing to pay 250$ for that shroom is gonna want mikes or elites name tagged to it...
I mean here is a classic example I have a rather large colony of a purple watermelon that's identical to jason foxs grand daddy purple... I wish I could say it was but I can't because I don't have the linage... I bet he can't even tell the difference... My colony is worth let's say 150$ if I had bought it from wwc or jfox it would be worth 5k from what I see the frags go for.... Just saying man.... His mushroom is very cool and it's unique in all different ways but how you gonna cash in on a name with no proof or linage????

I would say it depends on who is buying. I agree there are not many people that are going to pay $1500 for a little smudge of a piece of chalice, and those that are will probably want to know where you got it. Again though I see that more of an investor thing. I sell at frag swaps all spring and fall and I can tell you the vast majority of people I run across could not care less the lineage of anything I sell. If they ask me "is this an xxx zoa?" I am very clear to state as honestly as I can to tell them "yes it looks just like it, but it is probably not from the same original colony" or "it is similar, but these are differences...". People just dont care in my experience. It is not that I am just selling "cheap" stuff at frag swaps either I sell primarily zoas and acans, but with no "lineage" and the really nice one I have no problems selling for very high prices.

Sometimes I think people forget there is a whole world of coral "collectors" and people actively involved in wanting beautiful items for their tanks that dont visit these sites everyday. In some cases I would say these people even pay more for some of the acans I have as locally(in whatever area I am selling) they rarely see anything close to the colors I am selling. If they looked online a bit more they would see that there is a huge number of "rare" varieties of acans.

Guess my point is that I agree some people care about lineage, and the more expensive then probably the more people are going to care. There is a whole world of "collectors" out there though that love to buy nice or perceived as "rare" and are willing to pay for it..... with or without lineage. Many of those buyers dont even know this messageboard or SexyCorals even exist. Nothing against SexyCorals I love their stuff :)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can agree 100 percent with you as soon as you define investor to me..... i have never heard of a coral investor......

Lol I was just trying to come up with a definition of someone who would require lineage. Point being saying every "collector" is going to care about lineage I thought was way off and looking only at a relatively small subset of buyers (though probably the most active online). I was just coming up with a term I thought would fit your requirement much better. I should have known better to describe something without the proper lineage to back it up though :wink:

OP
OP
chasethis1

chasethis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not looking to get rich off these, Ive already given a couple away. A friend liked them I gave her some. Now with that said, if ALL of his these "Nuclear Sunsets" were all the same with perfectly stripped or as close to, of course this is nature that we are dealing with, perfectly spoked coloration then I would say there is a cause for lineage but even then this is something that is questionable as there is no paper trail and no one knows if it was collected or morphed over time in someones collection. Its like anything else in this world threw selective breeding or fragging etc. We can manipulate and change things to be more to our liking. This is all a very nice educational experience for me. As far as some of these corals having lineage, it is nice to know where it came from and that is about it. I get that they may come from the same parent colony but really? Are they breeding these? They have found a freak that is appealing and are moving to manipulate it to be what is profitable.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I was just trying to come up with a definition of someone who would require lineage. Point being saying every "collector" is going to care about lineage I thought was way off and looking only at a relatively small subset of buyers (though probably the most active online). I was just coming up with a term I thought would fit your requirement much better. I should have known better to describe something without the proper lineage to back it up though :wink:
ahahahaah good one...;) no worries man I feel ya... 1smile1 like I said I saw the same ones go for 100$ last week after sexy said they weren't his so he scored either way!!!!;)

OP
OP
chasethis1

chasethis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super, So.... Now what do I have to do to get a "Sticky" status on this thread, I feel that it has been a worthy conversation and educational too. :wink:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When hornets were big how many people got ripped off buying look-a-likes? I know if I'm going to drop some coin on an expensive coral I'm going to want to know where it came from to make sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting. That's just me though, some people will just buy and kick themselves later.

By the way I'm not saying your trying to rip people off or anything just to the whole lineage conversation. Its a nice looking shroom and I think you'll do well with them lineage or not. Heck if you were local I'd be interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back