Status
Not open for further replies.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lineage has to come back to me because I bought every single one of them from elite. If it's not lineage from me then they're not nuclear sunsets. I've seen thousands of mushrooms. A lot are similar but there is a reason why I put my name on this one so you can think whatever you want about your mushrooms but I'm pretty sure that is just a morph that looks similar. I don't know how else to put I except that there are plenty of blue-ish base orangey eyes and a green rim chalices out there. Do you think those are all my miami's?

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name them and start your own lineage. Nice corals speak for themselves.

OP
OP
chasethis1

chasethis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie to all of this Im just trying to collect as much info as possible. They could be culls from the Sexycorals lineage, I dont know. I wouldnt sell them as "Nuclear Sunsets" as this is not certain as to what they are. I wouldnt say no to anyone that wanted to purchase one though. I can appreciate knowing where they came from but what confuses me is this, who developed this particular morph? ( Nuclear Sunset) Was this just something that was found and continued to cultivate? These are all questions that I am trying to find the answers to. I am in no way trying to belittle the efforts of anyone that is taking the time to cultivate a particular color, or morph, nor would I want to use that persons name to sell something that isnt of that origin. I am just trying to put this puzzle together.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like lineage is getting alot of attention lately. Wasn't there a thread last week that opened a huge can of worms? I think these conversations are healthy and bring up many opposing viewpoints.

I personally don't care a great deal about 'lineage', that said, with all the corals being sold over the Internet and basically sight unseen for a pretty penny the tip in favor for lineage to me is that if I am looking for a hot pink lumpy chalice and I buy a pink ****** w lineage I am confident of what I am getting. I don't have to worry about the kind of lighting it was photographed under or if it was shopped. I think that is worth something to your average collector.

But if I was buying in person and the coral was sick hot, I wouldn't care if it was the walmart rollback.

Btw-from your pics your mushrooms look pretty sweet.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as a newbie, how is lineage traced? If I bought a Tyree such and such, do I get a paper that certifies this? As I get with my akc boxers?just wondering how all that works logistically. Seems like if there is not a system it would all be kind of like here say.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if I was buying in person and the coral was sick hot, I wouldn't care if it was the walmart rollback.
QUOTE]

LOL I like the way you put that. Personally I always prefer the wal-mart rollback. I will pay well for nice coral, but not as fond of paying for a name that vendors think they own (though I never seen one trademarked) or a lineage. Agree that it can be helpful when buying online to get a better idea of what you are getting though.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the mushrooms that sold last week for $100, and I have it now in my posession. It looks exactly like the one from SC, and I couldnt give a **** if it didnt have lineage to SC. The mushroom looks amazing in person as it did in the pics that were posted. I am more than happy with my purchase with or without lineage. That being said, I wouldnt say this is the case with every coral. Chalices and zoos can morph and change greatly, so what may look like a certain named coral one day may not 6 months down the road. I dont think that is the case with these mushrooms, although the ones in this thread are definitely different from the one I purchsed and SC's.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as a newbie, how is lineage traced? If I bought a Tyree such and such, do I get a paper that certifies this? As I get with my akc boxers?just wondering how all that works logistically. Seems like if there is not a system it would all be kind of like here say.

Everyone meets at the courthouse and puts thumbprints in a mixture of seller's blood and coral dna and stamps thumbprint onto a lineage document. Any future debates of the lineage of something being sold as nuclear sunsets can be determined though dna analysis.

Honestly I think it depends on the circle you are in. This forum seems to have a lot of people who know eachother well and vendors are often closely involved. If I tried to sell TroyLee a "Sexycorals xxx chalice" he probably gonna find out personally from SexyCorals if that even possible before he buys from me. Maybe if he knew me well and respected me as a seller he would trust me, but not as a guy with 0 feedback on these boards. Otherwise I am sure you can get records of who sold you what and I think it will depend on how well respected that seller is. In any case I honestly do not know that it truly gives a good protection to me it comes down to trusting the person you buying from that they not ripping you off with the way something looks. Just takes awhile to get that trust with vendors for me. In person it much easier when you can see the coral firsthand.

Anyway that my thoughts on it. I dont really buy with lineage in mind so now that I think about it I probably not the best to answer !

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I can give you is buy from someone wether it's a vendor or hobbyist that you trust!!! Linage is more trust than anything and with chalices it's pure trust since most of them are so small you won't know the difference for a year down the road.... For the most part if you buy from a vendor your fine and the majority of people around here I wish I could say everyone but there is a few bad apples in every bunch that's life....;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah talon I wouldnt go as far as saying I don't trust you because you have zero feedback I would do a little research before I came to any conclusion for instance I just paid a guy 200$ for a t5 fixture on here he had 4 posts and zero feed back... What I do is google your name look for any posts you have here or any where else and see if there was ever a problem with something or any transactions you had done...;) feedback helps but not everyone has it I mean we all gotta start somewhere...1smile1

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There definitely should be a sticky on lineage for all the "newbs"...not necessarily this thread but this lineage horse has been beaten 100 times over .....

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not honestly man you don't have track the linage to be a collector but anyone willing to pay 250$ for that shroom is gonna want mikes or elites name tagged to it...
I mean here is a classic example I have a rather large colony of a purple watermelon that's identical to jason foxs grand daddy purple... I wish I could say it was but I can't because I don't have the linage... I bet he can't even tell the difference... My colony is worth let's say 150$ if I had bought it from wwc or jfox it would be worth 5k from what I see the frags go for.... Just saying man.... His mushroom is very cool and it's unique in all different ways but how you gonna cash in on a name with no proof or linage????

I bought the exact same purple watermelons from ebay. And no doubt freaking the Bloodshots are the "exact" same ones I bought as purple watermelons. I think I should sent out all my corals to Tyree and JF just to get their names attached to them...lol

Thats a good idea contact Tyree and get those shrooms LE'd...then they will be worth a very handsome amount :xd:

mytshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was the one who had the mushrooms up for 100. After shipping they really sold for about $60 as compared to $225. Was it wrong that I used the same name? His picture looked identical to the ones I had in my tank and when I tried to get a picture with my point and shoot I couldn't capture the true colors so I wanted people to see what they really looked like. When asked in my post I had no problems clarifying that they weren't from Sexy Corals. I actually asked Sexy Corals if he had any interest in trading before I even sold them on the site because I like his watermelon favia. I assumed that he got them from the same wholesaler because I know he has some corals from my local wholesaler (superwoman chalice). So I assumed they were the same, but I didn't know he had gotten them from someone else. I guess I thought of it like this as well how many superman mushrooms or superman montis are out there? Isn't that a descriptor used commonly throughout the hobby. I wouldn't slap a tyree in front of something that wasn't really a tyree but if my sunset monti looks like a sunset monti thats what I'd call it. I guess I associate names like the Tyree Oregon Mummy Eye as a more official name that I wouldn't use on something that it wasn't but mummy eye is pretty common. Overall I am not trying to **** anyone off or undercut anyone. I just sold the mushrooms for what I thought was fair based on how many I had, and the fact I had never come across them before seeing SC post. Also when chasethis1 sent me a email and asked about his mushrooms and my mushrooms I shared as much information as I could.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bro.. thanks for clarifying when i ask you to. Im a pretty laid back kinda guy. i was not trying to be a pain at all. i was just irritated when i got a few PM asking me that if they came from me.. and i knew if i didnt ask you to clarify that in your sale thread then i would have to answer alot of PMs. Anyways im glad you did good on your sale and have a good night.

So I was the one who had the mushrooms up for 100. After shipping they really sold for about $60 as compared to $225. Was it wrong that I used the same name? His picture looked identical to the ones I had in my tank and when I tried to get a picture with my point and shoot I couldn't capture the true colors so I wanted people to see what they really looked like. When asked in my post I had no problems clarifying that they weren't from Sexy Corals. I actually asked Sexy Corals if he had any interest in trading before I even sold them on the site because I like his watermelon favia. I assumed that he got them from the same wholesaler because I know he has some corals from my local wholesaler (superwoman chalice). So I assumed they were the same, but I didn't know he had gotten them from someone else. I guess I thought of it like this as well how many superman mushrooms or superman montis are out there? Isn't that a descriptor used commonly throughout the hobby. I wouldn't slap a tyree in front of something that wasn't really a tyree but if my sunset monti looks like a sunset monti thats what I'd call it. I guess I associate names like the Tyree Oregon Mummy Eye as a more official name that I wouldn't use on something that it wasn't but mummy eye is pretty common. Overall I am not trying to **** anyone off or undercut anyone. I just sold the mushrooms for what I thought was fair based on how many I had, and the fact I had never come across them before seeing SC post. Also when chasethis1 sent me a email and asked about his mushrooms and my mushrooms I shared as much information as I could.

mytshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I'm glad your not mad if anything hopefully it will drive some sales from people that wanted them lineaged from you. And as I stated SC has some sick corals that i'd like to get my hands on. I personally don't care for the whole naming thing, but it just so happens that all the really nice looking corals are named.

OP
OP
chasethis1

chasethis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a very educational experience for me. I wasnt really aware of all the lineage that goes along with coral, I thought it odd that someone could lay claim to something that nature provided. I was a bit bothered at first by the notion, feeling that these corals, slow growing, not really sexually reproduced animals are having their morphs claimed and named. I guess that just like any other item that is cultivated or selectively nurtured to produce a specific product they can be claimed. I can accept that to a point. I would like to point out that these mushrooms that Mytshall has as well as those that are in my collection may be considered culls. They are so very similar, having the same flesh coloration as well as the same coloration to their bumps. I have over a dozen, some are very close to the photo of those by SC. Some are darker, depending on their placement under the light. I have some that have a few rust/orange dots with a spoke like pattern I have others in the same colony that are covered with spots. As mentioned this particular colony seems to be slower growing than any of my other mushroom colonies. I would love to have one of those from SC. With its pretty little spoke like pattern. I would love to see more images of those from SC. I feel this would be of great benefit to those of us that are fans of the mushroom. Over all, I have what I have, they are pretty and if they are worth something then Super cool. If they are worth a couple bucks, thats cool too. I just stumbled on something that I thought was attractive I wanted to know more and now I do. So with that said, is the name Nuclear Sunset a SC claimed name or was this a name that came with the mushroom when he purchased it originally?

colorfan45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice shrooms, The lineage is what makes people feel better about their coral and what they paid for it:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back