NUKED--

simplety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tried and tried again, velvet just wont go away.
Gave up, tore down DT, sand and rock tossed out into the sun, will not use either again. All equipment soaking overnight in bleach/tap water mix. Tank is outside on my deck running with bleach circulating. It turns the algae white and it peels off instantly. Question is with that ****** velvet how long to run the tank with bleach'? My plan was to run it 24 hrs, fresh water rinse a couple times, add some dechlorinator and run it again for 24 hrs. Then completely drain the tank and let it air dry completely in the sun. Tank back inside, new sand, new uncured liferock and new water obviously. :Hoping this nuked any parasites, asking for input and suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:

REEFER-RICK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be long enough as velvet sticks to sand and then attaches to your fish but you seem to have that problem solved good luck with the new start. I had velvet in my tank once had to do a complete do over everything new lost all my fish inverts were ok but went into my qt any how then in the new sump system

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tried and tried again, velvet just wont go away.
Gave up, tord down DT, sand and rock tossed out into the sun, will not use either again. All equiptment soaking overnight in bleach/tap water mix. Tank is outside on my deck running with bleach circulating. It turns the algae white and it peels off instantly. Question is with that ****** velvet how long to run the tank with bleach'? My plan was to run it 24 hrs, fresh water rinse a couple times, add some dechlorinator and run it again for 24 hrs. Then completely drain the tank and let it air dry completely in the sun. Tank back inside, new sand, new uncured liferock and new water obviously. :Hoping this nuked any parasites, asking for input and suggestions. Thanks
Sucks, sorry.
Looks like you have a plan.
Also plan on a small qt so this won't happen again.
Good luck with the new plan.

View Badges
After all that use vinegar to clean to be safe soak it after using bleach.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean that, by doing all this, your tank will never get velvet again?
(just asking)

drakebuffie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean that, by doing all this, your tank will never get velvet again?
(just asking)
It could get velvet again if you introduce it on a sick fish.

I am just wondering why tearing everything apart and bleaching it would be reasonable instead if just letting the tank go fallow for the correct amount of time???

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could get velvet again if you introduce it on a sick fish.

I am just wondering why tearing everything apart and bleaching it would be reasonable instead if just letting the tank go fallow for the correct amount of time???
Yes that would have done it also.
I was under the impression that he had already taking everything apart.

drakebuffie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I could think of the way he did it is that he doesn't have to go fishless for 90+ days.
Yeah but dang thats alot of work and ruined LR. Will be a month before anything can safely go in it and well over 90 days before its truely established again.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that was alot of work but it probably gave him some much needed piece of mind killing off the velvet and restarting the tank from scratch.

OP
OP
simplety

simplety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my revenge on whatever was left alive for parasites. Killed fish that were 7 plus years old. Lost thousands so it felt like revenge to know i nuked those jerks. Anyhow it’s up and running with now a sterile habitat.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90 day no fish period is unlikely to be successful IMO. Since velvet is more aggressive than Cryptocarion, you can probably take those 3 months to quarantine any new fish and place them into the disease free system when they pass the test, after all that work I'm sure you won't want to risk it again.

Back