Nutrients bottomed for couple of months

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i have a 9 month old IM 10g aio. Phos has been undetectable for most the life of the tank, but nitrates recently bottomed to zero for the last 2-3 months.

it’s strange because there are a lot of signs of high nutrients in the tank. Theres a ton of spaghetti worms in the sand. Filter feeders like pineapple sponges in the aio chambers. Coral in the tank is growing well and colored up nicely.

I’ve been dozing mb7 weekly for a month or two now. I’m wondering if this is contributing to my problem.

no matter how much I fed fish food or reef roids I couldn’t get a reading.
I had hair algae and bryopsis popping up so I reduced feeding to a normal level and have less nuisance algae.

ive been very hesitant to dose nutrients being that the tank is running well and looks good.
I’m just curious of thoughts on why the water column isn’t giving a read on nutrients.

parameters

0phos
0nitrate
8.2ph
8.0kh
425ca
1420mg
1.026 salinity

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Hanna ULR to test for PO4? It is really the only viable tool for measuring PO4. Trace phosphates are required by all living creatures, so you must have some. If your foods are not rich in PO4, then you might not have enough. Your rock and sand bind PO4 up to some point of saturation. But as the water becomes depleted, aragonite release the PO4.

IN GENERAL, a 9 month old tank will consume more nutrients than a 3 month old system. The biome becomes more populated with microfauna that consume or sequester nutrients. If you are feeding often enough, low residuals aren't a death sentence, but I don't like to run close to 0/0. Quick way to promote dinos.

OP
OP
soreefed

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Hanna ULR to test for PO4? It is really the only viable tool for measuring PO4. Trace phosphates are required by all living creatures, so you must have some. If your foods are not rich in PO4, then you might not have enough. Your rock and sand bind PO4 up to some point of saturation. But as the water becomes depleted, aragonite release the PO4.

IN GENERAL, a 9 month old tank will consume more nutrients than a 3 month old system. The biome becomes more populated with microfauna that consume or sequester nutrients. If you are feeding often enough, low residuals aren't a death sentence, but I don't like to run close to 0/0. Quick way to promote dinos.
I should clarify I’m using salifert test kits.
I target feed reef roids about once a week. I know the tank is getting nutrients, and it does seem like it is binding up in the sand.
i do not gravel vacuum it clean the sand outside of an occasional Turkey Baster blast.

yeah Dino’s has been a concern of mine one reason why I was considering this a potential issue.

Thanks for the reply!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should clarify I’m using salifert test kits.
I target feed reef roids about once a week. I know the tank is getting nutrients, and it does seem like it is binding up in the sand.
i do not gravel vacuum it clean the sand outside of an occasional Turkey Baster blast.

yeah Dino’s has been a concern of mine one reason why I was considering this a potential issue.

Thanks for the reply!
I really like the Hanna kits. For PO4 they are a must; for NO3, the Hanna High range is a nice to have. Reefroids does provide some PO4. Maybe dose 2X a week to keep some PO4. If you see dinos pop up though, stop the roids and dose nitrates and phosphates.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back