Nutrients dosing and GHA

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I'm a newbie with a small SPS tank :)
I read some suggestion to keep detectable NO3/PO4 level, so started dosing both NO3 and PO4 supplements.
Levels now are: PO4 .03 - .05, NO3 2-5
The problem is: the bottom and walls, as well as LRs are covered with GHA! (was predictable)

How do you guys deal with GHA in case of keeping steady level of nutrients much higher above zero? I heard some of reefers keep 10-15 NO3 and up to .1 PO4. Don't you suffer of GHA growth in your tanks?
Do I need just buy enough CUC (snails, hermit crabs etc.) or Zebrasoma to keep the GHA growth in balance?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always keep phosphate locked down at near zero and less than 0.03

If your adding phosphate to the system that’s probably why you have GHA as your just feeding it. Like a GHA garden

Your nitrate is fine but keep that phosphate locked down.

OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always keep phosphate locked down at near zero and less than 0.03

If your adding phosphate to the system that’s probably why you have GHA as your just feeding it. Like a GHA garden

Your nitrate is fine but keep that phosphate locked down.
That's a thing, if I stop dosing phosphate, it becomes zero (.00 by my Hanna photometer) very fast. AFAIK it's recommended to keep measurable phosphates. Also I know a lot of farmers have phosphate level about .05 without any issue with GHA.

How long is your light on? Also, whats your current CUC? - kali
13 hours in general, but there's ramping in the beginning and in the end. Also white channel is turned on about 20% only 6 hours per day, red channel is not used at all. Lights are AI Hydra 32.

CUC is 3 Trochus sp. snails, 2 Astera sp. snails, some of Stomatella snails, volume around 45G. The tank is fishless temporarily (after Velvet outbreak)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back