Nutrients issue?

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 months tank struggling with nutrients, nitrate and phosphate being consistant. I dosed phosphate, and nitrate but they so inconsistent that my corals died as a result. My phosphate now sitting at 0.02, and 6.8 nitrate super low. I have cyano on sand (not extending but there) i have green slimey cyano as well. And GHA taking over. I have a nyos skimmer that i havent turned on after my nutrients hit 0 few months ago. Even after i started dosing neo phos, and neo nitro. It wa super inconsistent that one day my phosphate would 0.02 and i jump to 0.08 and tick off a coral. What should i do to actually fix that nutrient issue going to my tank?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more.
Turning on skimmer without collecting skimmate won’t help rise nutrients, but will be good for aeration

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more.
Turning on skimmer without collecting skimmate won’t help rise nutrients, but will be good for aeration
Im sorry i heard the feed more advice. But if doesnt work. Espcially my worl scheduke doesnt allow me to feed than once a day.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think youre trying to do too much and wanting immediate results, which i guess isnt a bad thing, but what i feel is going to happen is, when it does, then you are going to spiral out of control with algae's and rising nutrients that you can no longer control.
Your N/P rates are exactly in a spot they should be at. i wouldnt go trying to raise those more than that. they will likely raise on their own over time, and then youre going to be at a spot where you were wishing to have those numbers back.

youre going to have algae issues. that part seems like it is inevitable, and in the near future, i expect one of your posts will be to get help with GHA. Feeding is the best way to raise nutrients, but currently, i would die to have the nitrate number you have currently.

i would stop "chasing numbers". the more you chase, the more inconsistent they will be. your nutrient numbers are fine imo

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think youre trying to do too much and wanting immediate results, which i guess isnt a bad thing, but what i feel is going to happen is, when it does, then you are going to spiral out of control with algae's and rising nutrients that you can no longer control.
Your N/P rates are exactly in a spot they should be at. i wouldnt go trying to raise those more than that. they will likely raise on their own over time, and then youre going to be at a spot where you were wishing to have those numbers back.

youre going to have algae issues. that part seems like it is inevitable, and in the near future, i expect one of your posts will be to get help with GHA. Feeding is the best way to raise nutrients, but currently, i would die to have the nitrate number you have currently.

i would stop "chasing numbers". the more you chase, the more inconsistent they will be. your nutrient numbers are fine imo
I already have insane GHA what should i do? Im legit about to quit this hobby

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have insane GHA what should i do? Im legit about to quit this hobby
well, first thing i would do is to stop dosing N/P. at this point, youre feeding it directly by adding it. if you have an insane GHA issue, your numbers arent as low as you think. they are reading low because your GHA is consuming the rest. the more you add, the more it feeds and grows, so stop chasing your N/P numbers.

the road to getting rid of GHA wont be a short one. i had a really bad GHA issue that took me a few months to get rid of. i would say almost close to 6 months maybe. i did a bunch of things, but the most beneficial imo was removing the algae by hand, dosing carbon, more cleanup crew, water changes, and making use of a refugium.

water changes overall, reduce it by very little, but very little at this point, wont hurt you. during water changes, i pulled rocks out by hand, scrubbed the algae off, and put it back. the big thing here is to remove what is feeding on the N/P, and thus extracting any extra that is there. You dont want it to die in the system, because it will just release what it has, puttiing back in the tank, and thus being food for more GHA again. adding carbon gives the system a way of using the excess for coral feeding (if you have coral of course). cleanup crew is obvious. the more you have, the more help you have to reduce GHA. refugium is probably the biggest help. it provides a way to grow algae outside of the display tank, thus reducing your nitrates so that your GHA cant feed from it.
With all of this, and over time, i saw my GHA slowly disappear day by day, until it got to the point where it is right now, where i have absolutely none.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back