Nutrients rising while treating for dinos

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get concerned about my nutrient levels while not doing water changes to treat for Dino’s. I’m currently been manually removing them off the sand bed every day, along with using Dino x. My nutrients were not bottomed out when I got the Dino’s they were sitting around phosphate .06-.08. Nitrates 5.

just tested my water and my phosphate is currently at .19 and nitrates are staying sitting at 10.

at what point should I start to trying to lower nutrients?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept mine nitrates around 20 or so and phosphates at 0.1 and that seemed to help (may have been the UV or other bacteria I dosed prior to UV that helped so I can't say what worked). My dinos are mostly gone (I don't see it anymore). My palyzoas browned out but I could care less about that compared to the dinos. You could try and dose some competitive bacteria such as waste away or PNS probio which would lower the nitrates and phosphates while restoring your microbial communities (just make sure to not bottom out again). This speeds up the process of what having higher waste levels is for (at least from my understanding). So I would say that you can stay where you are with waste levels or bring phosphate just a tad bit lower. 10 Nitrate is perfect

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back